Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake profiles complaint

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
21 of 49

@Danny M wrote:

That would be a convenience for top rated freelancers and the clients, but what about new freelancers?

What would be a convenience? 

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Ace Contributor
Danny M Member Since: Feb 6, 2017
22 of 49

Quoting John K's earlier comment.

'' Nils, can't do much about an agency pretending to be an individual, but I would think many, if not most fakes have little or no work history or earnings, so if you eliminate those and go with top rated or at least 80% job success, I think you'll have better luck. ''

No disrepect, but I think saying a client should go with top rated freelancers because most of the fake accounts have little to no work history and should be eliminated is a little bit inconsiderate especially for new and authentic freelancers. That just puts everything in the court of the top rated freelancers.

I love. I hate. I'm nice. I'm scary. I'm religious. I'm agnostic. I'M HUMAN.
Community Guru
23 of 49

@Danny M wrote:

Quoting John K's earlier comment.

'' Nils, can't do much about an agency pretending to be an individual, but I would think many, if not most fakes have little or no work history or earnings, so if you eliminate those and go with top rated or at least 80% job success, I think you'll have better luck. ''

No disrepect, but I think saying a client should go with top rated freelancers because most of the fake accounts have little to no work history and should be eliminated is a little bit inconsiderate especially for new and authentic freelancers. That just puts everything in the court of the top rated freelancers.

It's a valid point. There is no easy solution that clients can use to filter out fakers. Speaking with them may help, however.

-----------
Community Leader
Stefan C Member Since: Nov 1, 2011
24 of 49

Let's play who can find the most fake profiles with a single search query.

I got 256!

And before anyone asks -- yes, I have submitted a detailed report about some of these profiles like 3 months ago (ticket #16880525).

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
25 of 49

Stefan,

I'll have somebody take a look at this now and we'll have actions taken.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
26 of 49

256 identical profiles... Wow.

I would almost guess that they're clones...

Except human clone aren't real as far as we know... and if they were, they probably wouldn't be such losers.

Community Guru
27 of 49

@Preston H wrote:

256 identical profiles... Wow.

Preston, there is only so much you can get from a byte.

-----------
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
28 of 49

Many have the name of "Jest" or "Jester", too funny! Cat LOL

29 of 49

Perhaps it is because I know nothing about how websites work, but there is no way to convince me that Upwork does not know about all the fake/copied/stolen profiles on the site. How can they not know?

Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
30 of 49

Smiley Surprised Smiley Mad

I've made the search and there are still 14 profiles of the same man with different locations and names. 

I'm surprised!!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS