cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake profiles complaint

This widget could not be displayed.
31 of 49

I have reported a freelancer profile with the photo of another person. Now he has exchanged the photo by another one that is not a portrait photo, the photo is showing the person standing in the background, his head nearly small as a pinhead. This could be anybody. 

Community Leader
Gabriel B Member Since: Nov 25, 2014
32 of 49

Well, I ~am~ a real boy!

Secondly, if simply comparing descriptions is enough to detect fake profiles, then I don't see how a string-comparing algorithm isn't run in the background as a cronjob giving some sort of table with possible duplicates; or

When somebody subscribes, do a quick search based on their inputted description. Or when somebody updates it.

Yes, yes, millions of people in the database. Well, I work with tables with tens of millions of records. It can be done.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
33 of 49

@Gabriel B wrote:

if simply comparing descriptions is enough to detect fake profiles, then I don't see how a string-comparing algorithm isn't run in the background as a cronjob giving some sort of table with possible duplicates;

Technically speaking this can be done. Why it's not done is a valid question.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
34 of 49

To answer my own question posted earlier- Upwork does know about the millions of fake profiles. To attempt an answer to Rene's question about why nothing is done may come across as presumptious, so I will say this- perhaps Upwork is afraid that suddenly suspending a couple of million profiles will cost more that it is worth in terms of nagative publicity, which in turn, could potentially turn away large numbers of clients.

After all, who does something like close millions of accounts in one fell swoop?

Community Leader
Gabriel B Member Since: Nov 25, 2014
35 of 49

Guess it doesn't have the same ring to it saying "Hire from tens of thousands of freelancers" as it does when using "millions (of duplicate accounts, most of which with no activity)".

Hm, I just searched for 'php' in freelancers.

Total: 288,463

With at least 1 hour or $1 earned: 62,204

With at least 100 hours: 35,746

And that without requiring any self-proclaimed level of English.

36 of 49

Today I came across a Rising Talent Profile who translated/has written in German language and flagged it because there was so much wrong with this profile. First of all I do not understand how his German Basic could qualify him for the job he has done, he offers translating English into French (the client's review is still missing). Then he links from the profile overview directly to his F...lancer.com profile and invites clients to have a look at his profile there (and to hire him there?) where he has done most of his projects. Moreover, while claiming to be a computer engineer, he also holds a PhD in Philosophy and is teaching at an university in Algeria. I suppose the quality team will ask him to remove the link to the F...lancer.com profile but not doubt his academic merits.

Community Guru
Carolyn G Member Since: Mar 20, 2017
37 of 49

Hi Margarete,

You most likely know to do this, but please report the profile if you could, or you can send it to me in a private message, and I would be glad to get that looked into. Thank you for letting us know!

~Carolyn
Untitled
Jamal M Member Since: Mar 26, 2017
38 of 49

Hi Carolyn, 

I too have found a fake profile picture with 100% JSS. I have red flag the profile . The JSS decreased to 94% , I am not sure how this happened. But the fake picture is still available. 

Regards

Community Guru
Lanie M Member Since: Jun 24, 2015
39 of 49

Hi Jamal,

Can you send me the profile link through Private Message please, so we can check on it and do what is needed.

Lanie M
Untitled
Mario H Member Since: Feb 12, 2020
40 of 49

Hello Upwork,

I just noticed couple of fake profiles that someone else use accounts via TeamViewer.

Here is the fake profiles that a chinese guy use TeamViewer.

**Edited for community guidelines**

Thanks.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS