🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Fake spam freelancers everywhere
Page options
7b4080a0
Community Member

Fake spam freelancers everywhere

I have been using Upwork, with good results for over a year. However, I recently posted a project looking for some React.js developers. Unfortunately we have been inundated with spam/ fake accounts - something i didn't think happened on Upwork. I had a shortlist of 10 -12 finalised for Skype interviews. After the first 3 I realised that not only did the freelancers not seem to be aware of their own work history or skillsets correctly, as they had described them, but they all had asian accents, despite preporting to be from European countries. I don't care what country someone is from - but i do care about them telling the truth about it.

Out of the remaining 8 candidates i asked them all to make sure they have a webcam that they can use for the conversation. Only 2 of them would agree. The rest of them all pulled out of having a quick skype conversation if a webcam had been used. After going back through all the profiles i noticed a similar pattern to the ones that pulled out. None could be found on linked in, All had similarly vague education history, and all of them have started since roughly january '18. They were all European identities, a majority also had a lot of jobs done but all for seemingly random, low amounts - e.g. 10 projects complete but fo $50-$100 dollars each - so that their work history looks good and they have lots of proejcts with 5 stars until you actually examine the projects. They all also had big projects for large amounts - that were all still open. making their accounts look like they have done a lot of work. 

My guess is the same guys that are creating fictitious western identies are also creating fictitious client accounts to juice up their stats and numbers to seem legit. I'm sure some of them are good coders - but are you really going to trust someone to work on your code who is telling you they are a completely different person from a totally different country?

This has been an incredibly frustrating process and wasted 3-4 days of time between organising and tyring to interview these candidates. I really hope Upwork will take note of this and try to improve this spam or it will become an unusable platform.

I'd advise all clients to throw the question out there next time they are hiring - can the freelancer have a skype/ upwork conversation using a  webcam. I think you will be surprised by how many candidates will drop out at this suggestion.

These fake accounts do no favours for real freelancers as i've been left totally paranoid now about who it is I am hiring on the service.

57 REPLIES 57

@Stephen H wrote:
There is really no motivation for a client to lie about their identity or location unless they are planning on not paying. If that’s the case, Upwork has systems already in place for disputes and ways for freelancers to get paid. Additionally, freelancers can leave negative reviews for clients that was dishonest in anyway thereby warning future freelancers in a highly visible way.

I have to believe that impropriety on the client side is very rare and there are actions that can be taken.

However, in my recent experience, fake freelancer profiles are a rampant problem. Like I said previously, 5 out of 5 interviews I conducted yesterday were fake. Though I have paid more than $60K out to freelancers through various jobs, this discouraged me from using the platform. At the very least, I’m less likely to hire foreign freelancers because I don’t have the time to filter out all the fake profiles.

I agree about the fake profiles. At one time I used to browse randomly and found dozens of fake profiles. One was even top rated and the FL had earned a fortune here by using someone else's profile. 

However, I do rather take exception to your concept of "foreign". Presumably anyone outside the US being in this stateless and unfortunate zone? I have to point out the lingua franca in the US originated in an alien foreign country on the European side of the Atlantic.

Stephen, the sad reality is that both sides of the equation have reasons to lie.   Common examples:

1. FLers lie because they are incompetent. We all agree this goes on far more than is acceptable.

2. Clients lie for a variety of reasons:

a. they are trying to adapt stolen work for their own purposes and need someone to 'tweak' it to try and avoid getting caught

b. they have zero intention of paying the full (sometimes even partial) amount agreed to from the start

This behavior is not limited to or miitigated by location.

@Stephen H wrote:
At the very least, I’m less likely to hire foreign freelancers because I don’t have the time to filter out all the fake profiles.

I'm wondering what you mean by the word foreign, but fake profiles are found almost anywhere. Fakers love to pretend to be from the US, EU, Australia and such.

I have seen foreign fake profiles too. The last one I saw was from the US, but this won't prevent me to hire foreigners. Americans for instance.  I know that despite the fact that they live in a remote country, far, far away, (in the US for instance), I can still speak with them through a video call to see if they are who they claim they are.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

So what is new?  There are many fake buyers as well on the platform.

What I mean by foreign is that when I select “US Only” then there are extra verifications that take place by Upwork. This limits some of the fake profiles. Since these extra steps are not taken when I open the job up to other countries, im less likely to do so.

@Stephen H wrote:
What I mean by foreign is that when I select “US Only” then there are extra verifications that take place by Upwork. This limits some of the fake profiles. Since these extra steps are not taken when I open the job up to other countries, im less likely to do so.

The fake profiles are more likely to happen in countries that do not have proper nationalized ID system.  Even if it existed the bribery and forgery is quite wide spread to get another ID.  Friends, neigbors or even strangers (for few bucks) will 'help' you by giving their papers.

But the buyers don't go through any scrutiny.  They can create unlimited accounts with different e-mails. To scam freelancers.

If this forum represents a statistically valid sample size then I would say that more freelancers are scammed by buyers.  There are less posting by buyers complaining about getting scammed.

Ultimately it is buyers responsibilty to perform due deligence.  And if they are looking for rock bottom prices probability of they getting scammed are high. 

@Prashant P wrote:

If this forum represents a statistically valid sample size

It doesn't. Freelancers hang out here because basically, they spend a lot of time on Upwork. Clients come occasionally to get something done and then they go back to whatever they do. Very few use the forums.

So this forum is in no way representative of anything. It is fortunate that you negativity towards clients is not representative of the general state of mind of Upwork's providers.

-----------

@Rene:  It seems that you can dish out the insults, but can't take the heavy push back.

Yoy have to ask the MODs to remove my insult.  If you are a true gentlemen you should edit your post and remove your insult.

@Prashant P wrote:

@Rene:  It seems that you can dish out the insults, but can't take the heavy push back.

Yoy have to ask the MODs to remove my insult.  If you are a true gentlemen you should edit your post and remove your insult.

Facts are not insults and I am pretty much certain Rene didn't bother asking any mods to remove your comment, they figured it out all by themselves.

It was entirely out of order.

@Petra R wrote:

@Prashant P wrote:

Facts are not insult.

What is factual about this?," It is fortunate that you negativity towards clients is not representative of the general state of mind of Upwork's providers."  Isn't that an opinion?

and how do you know that he didn't ask?  Again your opinion isn't it?

and how do you know that he didn't ask?

Because I did - and it was acted on very quickly.

@Prashant P wrote:

Facts are not insult.

What is factual about this?," It is fortunate that you negativity towards clients is not representative of the general state of mind of Upwork's providers."  Isn't that an opinion?

and how do you know that he didn't ask?  Again your opinion isn't it?

It is a fact that your negativity towards clients is not representative of the general state of mind of Upwork's providers.

Which part are you disputing? The fact that your posts  tend to be full of constant and obvious and not even faintly disguised negativity towards client, which you spew forth at any appropriate or inappropriate opportunity or the fact that it is thankfully not representative? Or the fact that it is fortunate that it isn't representative, which it is not?

I know Rene didn't ask to have it removed because that just isn't his MO. I saw it just before it was (rightly) removed. (No, I didn't report it either but I agree with the person who did. It was disgusting.)

I am going to take my ball and go home. 

@Prashant P wrote:

I am going to take my ball and go home. 

Prashant, that's a good idea. You were a bit late to the party anyway.

The conclusion is, that many freelancers (hundreds of them, in fact) post fake profiles locations. And it is naughty of all those freelancers to do what they do, but they just do not read the rules and regs before signing up.

The other thing that freelancers do is to sell or rent their profiles. This, in my book, is even more of a no, no than lying about location. But I am sure Upwork has something in place to prevent this. We must have faith. 

I have neither insulted you, it was not my purpose at least, I'm sorry if you feel that way, nor have I flagged your post. I don't care about posts moderation, I leave this to the mods. If it was me almost nothing would be removed.

It's just that you are sometimes so grumpy and so negative against clients Prashant. Yet you are a freelancer.

-----------

Rene:  Yes you were trolling and were out of line.  I have seen you replying to several of my posts and inserting that statement randomly.  When you insert stuff randomly the sole purpose of which is to insult.

It is also trolling when the ‘cheer leaders’ come out of nowhere  and start insulting in your defense.  They have no business to butt in the conversation when the post is clearly addressed to you.

It is also called trolling when (on the other thread) that dude start a rant about something without comprehending the difference between “Most” and “All”.

I have soft spot for freelancers.  I come from that part of the world where many of them use Upwork to survive. Yes it is wonderful to say that they agreed to work for 50 cents/hr, or collect 500 e-mails for $5 or transfer thousands of excel data for $10. But in my definition that is exploitation.

Even then  many of them are taken advantage by greedy scheming buyers.  I feel for the freelancers when a dude or dudette comes to the forum and starts asking about how they can get away by not paying some poor slob. Even on hourly contract.  I have no sympathy for those buyers. I have no sympathy for buyers who starts checking your work diary in minute detail and see a screen not not related to their work or if the #of keystrokes or mouse movements were low they ask for how they can remove that 10 min. segment.

As for scamming freelancers – the buyers get what they deserve.  It is their job to vett them out.  If they are stupid, looking for rock bottom prices, and are unable to understand the risk involved in hiring people sight unseen.  It happens in real life as well.  You hire someone who looks great on paper, you interview them, hire them and they don’t work out.  If you dock their wages or ask for refund the labor dept. (at least in US) would be all over you.

Yes and one thing we both agree is that if it was up to me nothing on the forum would be removed.  I hate it immensely when in the middle of the post that says, ”Removed per whatever Guidelines”.

@Prashant P wrote:

Rene:  Yes you were trolling and were out of line.  I have seen you replying to several of my posts and inserting that statement randomly.  When you insert stuff randomly the sole purpose of which is to insult.

It is also trolling when the ‘cheer leaders’ come out of nowhere  and start insulting in your defense.  They have no business to butt in the conversation when the post is clearly addressed to you.

It is also called trolling when (on the other thread) that dude start a rant about something without comprehending the difference between “Most” and “All”.

I have soft spot for freelancers.  I come from that part of the world where many of them use Upwork to survive. Yes it is wonderful to say that they agreed to work for 50 cents/hr, or collect 500 e-mails for $5 or transfer thousands of excel data for $10. But in my definition that is exploitation.

Even then  many of them are taken advantage by greedy scheming buyers.  I feel for the freelancers when a dude or dudette comes to the forum and starts asking about how they can get away by not paying some poor slob. Even on hourly contract.  I have no sympathy for those buyers. I have no sympathy for buyers who starts checking your work diary in minute detail and see a screen not not related to their work or if the #of keystrokes or mouse movements were low they ask for how they can remove that 10 min. segment.

As for scamming freelancers – the buyers get what they deserve.  It is their job to vett them out.  If they are stupid, looking for rock bottom prices, and are unable to understand the risk involved in hiring people sight unseen.  It happens in real life as well.  You hire someone who looks great on paper, you interview them, hire them and they don’t work out.  If you dock their wages or ask for refund the labor dept. (at least in US) would be all over you.

Yes and one thing we both agree is that if it was up to me nothing on the forum would be removed.  I hate it immensely when in the middle of the post that says, ”Removed per whatever Guidelines”.

@ @Prashant, I stand corrected on the difference between the meanings of the words "most" and "all". I will in future defer to your superior knowledge on these matters, seeing that you managed to attain an advanced degree in mechanical engineering in the about same amount of time it takes to attain a mere bachelor's degree. 

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

We've removed a few posts from this thread and will be closing it for new responses. Thank you for your participation and please do refrain from making personal attacks or posting otherwise inappropriate comments which not in line with the spirit of our great Community or your awesome personality.

~ Vladimir
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths