Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake spam freelancers everywhere

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
21 of 58

+100 kudos to Preston's comment:

I think that the freelancers who fake their identities also fake their abilities. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
22 of 58

@Wendy C wrote:

I think that the freelancers who fake their identities also fake their abilities. 

They have no intention of doing anthing anyway.  They have "bought" the account for $50 from some guy Rosemary on the other thread mentioned.  So their investment is $50.  Whatever they can scam is their profit and they will be in hog heaven with other pigs in the mud.

Highlighted
Mihaela M Member Since: Apr 8, 2015
23 of 58

Maybe UpWork should do a yearly freelancer confirmation video call.
I'm a freelancer and I wouldn't mind if I needed to chat with UpWork staff once a year.
This does not solve your immediate problem, but nonetheless, it would at least scare away some fraudulent parties.
If the call was scheduled at their presumed location's daytime, maybe that would help. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
24 of 58

@Mihaela M wrote:

Maybe UpWork should do a yearly freelancer confirmation video call.
I'm a freelancer and I wouldn't mind if I needed to chat with UpWork staff once a year.
This does not solve your immediate problem, but nonetheless, it would at least scare away some fraudulent parties.
If the call was scheduled at their presumed location's daytime, maybe that would help. 

Except that if the stats are correct - there are millions of us. It would take a lot of manpower ($$$) and time to do a yearly check. Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
25 of 58

12 Million Freelancers, 5 minutes at a time makes 1 Million manhours a year or 500 plus full time employees.

I don't see that happening any time soon.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Cheryl K Member Since: Jul 16, 2015
26 of 58

And even if they could afford the resources, you know the video verification would happen when

1) your mother or (insert other loved one) is in the hospital

2) you are away on a 2 week holiday

3) some other inconvenient thing

cuz that's just the way life goes

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
27 of 58

When work product is due and the client wonders where her file are... some freelancers have an endless supply of mothers (or other loved ones) in the hospital.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Nilanjan B Member Since: May 12, 2018
28 of 58

I see day by day, outsourcing work online is getting tougher. It takes real efforts from a client to evaluate the worthy profile.

Highlighted
Stephen H Member Since: Aug 1, 2018
29 of 58

I'm also have a lot of problems with FAKE profiles.  Upwork should do more to eliminate these profiles before the get started like using video varification and even ID card verfiication like what financial institutions do.  I've been using Upwork for close to 6 years (back when it was Odesk) for many large projects.  Overall I have had a good experience until this latest job.  So far all 3 of the web developers I have interviewed have been Chinese even though I am specifically looking for person fluent in English located in the US. 

I really dont have the time to do UPWORK'S JOB by verifying these accounts! 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Cheryl K Member Since: Jul 16, 2015
30 of 58

Stephen if you have found freelancers that are misrepresenting their skills on their profiles, then please report them.

Upwork is currently going through the process of verifying freelancers but it still doesn't stop the unscrupulous ones from selling their verified accounts. And if other freelancers call them out on having a fake profile the mods get all testy like. Maybe it has more cred coming from a client.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS