Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake spam freelancers everywhere

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
41 of 58

@Stephen H wrote:
There is really no motivation for a client to lie about their identity or location unless they are planning on not paying. If that’s the case, Upwork has systems already in place for disputes and ways for freelancers to get paid. Additionally, freelancers can leave negative reviews for clients that was dishonest in anyway thereby warning future freelancers in a highly visible way.

I have to believe that impropriety on the client side is very rare and there are actions that can be taken.

However, in my recent experience, fake freelancer profiles are a rampant problem. Like I said previously, 5 out of 5 interviews I conducted yesterday were fake. Though I have paid more than $60K out to freelancers through various jobs, this discouraged me from using the platform. At the very least, I’m less likely to hire foreign freelancers because I don’t have the time to filter out all the fake profiles.

I agree about the fake profiles. At one time I used to browse randomly and found dozens of fake profiles. One was even top rated and the FL had earned a fortune here by using someone else's profile. 

However, I do rather take exception to your concept of "foreign". Presumably anyone outside the US being in this stateless and unfortunate zone? I have to point out the lingua franca in the US originated in an alien foreign country on the European side of the Atlantic.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
42 of 58

Stephen, the sad reality is that both sides of the equation have reasons to lie.   Common examples:

1. FLers lie because they are incompetent. We all agree this goes on far more than is acceptable.

2. Clients lie for a variety of reasons:

a. they are trying to adapt stolen work for their own purposes and need someone to 'tweak' it to try and avoid getting caught

b. they have zero intention of paying the full (sometimes even partial) amount agreed to from the start

This behavior is not limited to or miitigated by location.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
43 of 58

@Stephen H wrote:
At the very least, I’m less likely to hire foreign freelancers because I don’t have the time to filter out all the fake profiles.

I'm wondering what you mean by the word foreign, but fake profiles are found almost anywhere. Fakers love to pretend to be from the US, EU, Australia and such.

I have seen foreign fake profiles too. The last one I saw was from the US, but this won't prevent me to hire foreigners. Americans for instance.  I know that despite the fact that they live in a remote country, far, far away, (in the US for instance), I can still speak with them through a video call to see if they are who they claim they are.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
44 of 58

So what is new?  There are many fake buyers as well on the platform.

Stephen H Member Since: Aug 1, 2018
45 of 58
What I mean by foreign is that when I select “US Only” then there are extra verifications that take place by Upwork. This limits some of the fake profiles. Since these extra steps are not taken when I open the job up to other countries, im less likely to do so.
Community Guru
46 of 58

@Stephen H wrote:
What I mean by foreign is that when I select “US Only” then there are extra verifications that take place by Upwork. This limits some of the fake profiles. Since these extra steps are not taken when I open the job up to other countries, im less likely to do so.

The fake profiles are more likely to happen in countries that do not have proper nationalized ID system.  Even if it existed the bribery and forgery is quite wide spread to get another ID.  Friends, neigbors or even strangers (for few bucks) will 'help' you by giving their papers.

But the buyers don't go through any scrutiny.  They can create unlimited accounts with different e-mails. To scam freelancers.

If this forum represents a statistically valid sample size then I would say that more freelancers are scammed by buyers.  There are less posting by buyers complaining about getting scammed.

Ultimately it is buyers responsibilty to perform due deligence.  And if they are looking for rock bottom prices probability of they getting scammed are high. 

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
47 of 58

@Prashant P wrote:

If this forum represents a statistically valid sample size

It doesn't. Freelancers hang out here because basically, they spend a lot of time on Upwork. Clients come occasionally to get something done and then they go back to whatever they do. Very few use the forums.

So this forum is in no way representative of anything. It is fortunate that you negativity towards clients is not representative of the general state of mind of Upwork's providers.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
48 of 58

@Rene:  It seems that you can dish out the insults, but can't take the heavy push back.

Yoy have to ask the MODs to remove my insult.  If you are a true gentlemen you should edit your post and remove your insult.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
49 of 58

@Prashant P wrote:

@Rene:  It seems that you can dish out the insults, but can't take the heavy push back.

Yoy have to ask the MODs to remove my insult.  If you are a true gentlemen you should edit your post and remove your insult.

Facts are not insults and I am pretty much certain Rene didn't bother asking any mods to remove your comment, they figured it out all by themselves.

It was entirely out of order.

Community Guru
50 of 58

@Petra R wrote:

@Prashant P wrote:

Facts are not insult.

What is factual about this?," It is fortunate that you negativity towards clients is not representative of the general state of mind of Upwork's providers."  Isn't that an opinion?

and how do you know that he didn't ask?  Again your opinion isn't it?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS