🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Feature suggestion: Forum style marketpla...
Page options
e3671ee3
Community Member

Feature suggestion: Forum style marketplace for projects

Often we don't have time to go through the hiring process but we are just looking for an answer to our problem. The StackExchange network is very useful in that regards since any user can post an answer which will be subject to scrutiny (and votes). 

So it would be very interesting if we can take the advantages of the SE network and adapt them to Upwork. 

In many cases a business is interested in a problem that can be stripped of private content and turned into an abstract problem. One could then post it to the SE network but because we are searching for quality answers fast, Upwork can play a great role here.

Now suppose the problem is posed and the post receives multiple different answers. Who gets the fee promised? One suggestion is to leave it to the post creator to decide. They can give the fee to one answer or spread it among multiple interesting answers. 

What if one user steals the public answer of some other user who already posted? In the SE network the time of posting an answer is recorded and so that can be helpful. But what if a user who already posted edits their answer based on some follow up answer? One suggestion here is to restrict editing access to an answer after a few minutes. 

Feel free to move my post to any location that is more appropriate.

4 REPLIES 4
hodgesh
Community Member

Tomas K wrote:

So it would be very interesting if we can take the advantages of the SE network and adapt them to Upwork. 

The SE model doesn't offer any advantages for people who want to get paid. Your idea would lead to clients getting work done for free.

A simple client problem can be managed like a small job: hire someone for an hour of consultation or a single milestone. If you want multiple perspectives, hire multiple freelancers.

versailles
Community Member

Tomas K wrote:

Now suppose the problem is posed and the post receives multiple different answers. Who gets the fee promised? One suggestion is to leave it to the post creator to decide.

This kind of (scam) sites do exist. The client posts a need, people (very stupid people) submit the work and the client decides which one they will pay. The others have worked for free.

A dream for business owners, not that much for freelancers. 

Thanks, but no thanks.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
lysis10
Community Member

It's times like these I'm reminded that not everyone has what it takes to run the show and why there are so many of the 99%.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Tomas:

I thought that your suggestion is well-stated and sincere.

I don't think you want a system wherein freelancers are taken advantage of or scammed. You just want to simplify some things.

The part that you are missing is that you DO NOT need to "go through the hiring process" each time.

You talk about the time it takes to go through that process.

So, yes, I understand that you want to save time and effort.

The "hiring process" that many (perhaps most) clients go through IS INDEED A WASTE OF TIME.

But clients can SKIP THIS PROCESS. I have hired over 80 freelancers on Upwork. I rarely go through "the hiring process" that many clients think is necessary.

For situations in which I simply want to ask questions or get trained to do something (as well as for many other types of tasks) I don't spend time interviewing freelancers or carefully considering a lot of applicants.

I typically just post job postings that describe what I need done, and then quickly hire people who apply to the job. Often I simply hire the first X number of reasonable-looking applicants who apply, and then close the job. There is always a certain number of people who can be hired in order to achieve the desired result.

If you want to ask a question or discuss a problem, then all you need to do is post the question and start hiring people. You can talk to as many freelancers as you want to until you have garnered enough answers or new perspectives to meet your needs.

If your job posting is clear enough about what you want to ask or discuss, you will probably experience what I have experienced: Only knowledgeable, qualified people will apply to the job posting.

If you end up hiring somebody who isn't helpful, then you can just close the contract. You may end up paying for only 10 minutes of time - a very small amount of money. Of if they're really horrible, you may end up realizing that quite quickly, and not paying anything.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths