cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Size Too Small on Finished Artwork

Gold K Member Since: May 17, 2011
1 of 11

I hired a provider to create custom artwork for a 10'x14' wall mural.  I specified the size before he started.  After he submitted a proof of his work.  I released payment requested the files.  He sent a image that is barely large enough for an 8"x10"   How am I protected in a case like this?

Ace Contributor
Filip S Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
2 of 11

This might be a communication error, did you specify the DPI?
10'x14' means very little without a set DPI, the difference between 72 dpi and 300 dpi is huge.
Unless you specified what resolution you want the end product to be, I'm afraid it's your mistake and not the freelancers (although he probably should have asked)

3 of 11

Thanks.  i am a graphics designer myself so I am familiar with dpi.  The file he sent is 72 dpi and about 8"x10".  No way it can be used as a 10'x14' wall mural which I specified in the job description and  several messages

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 11

Hi Gold,

Please speak with your freelancer directly, check if your original agreement included this requirement and discuss possibly making changes to the image you received. Going forward, make sure to review the work before releasing the payment.

5 of 11

Thanks.  I have contacted the provider and got no response.  I did review the proofs.  He would not send the final files until the payment was released.  After I released payment he sent the tiny file.

Community Guru
Bojana D Member Since: May 2, 2011
6 of 11

Is your mural a photo at all? If it's text art, custom illustration, combo of those, or anything similar, the designer might have sent you the vector source file (PDF, EPS, AI) - which would be best for print, and a vector file can literally be in the two-digit KB range. Talk to your designer first, clear up what you have and what you need - if it's a raster file, discuss the necessary DPI. 

7 of 11

Thanks.  This is a raster image.  I specified that it would be used as a 10'x14' wall mural.  The image he sent is blurry when printed any larger than 11"x14".

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 11

Gold:

There are only two options:

- You can get the original freelancer to provide a usable file

or

- You will need to hire somebody else

I question the communication skills and the professionalism of the freelancer you hired.

But this isn't really an "Upwork issue" in terms of specific file formats, sizes, DPI, etc. Those are issues that you need to work out directly with the freelancer (or freelancers) you hire.

Upwork doesn't get involved at that level. Clients need to manage the freelancers they hire and review the work that freelancers provide. It sounds like you released payment after receiving the submitted files, when what should have happened was this: You or your project manager should have reviewed the submitted file, seen that it was not what you needed, asked the freelancer to provide an appropriate file before releasing payment.

Community Guru
Charles K Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
9 of 11

If the job specified that it was for a print, and it sounds like it was, any competent artist/photographer would know that the goal is at least 300 ppi. An image with only 72 ppi is for screen display.

I can't imagine what incentive the freelancer would have for holding back the full-sized image in this situation, risking a bad review for.. what exactly? So it's probably a communication issue.

Suggestion: Next time do not release payment for any work product of any type until you have received the deliverable. There is no need for a freelancer to submit a "proof" and hold back the actual product until after payment is released.

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
10 of 11

@Gold K wrote:

I hired a provider to create custom artwork for a 10'x14' wall mural.  I specified the size before he started.  After he submitted a proof of his work.  I released payment requested the files.  He sent a image that is barely large enough for an 8"x10"   How am I protected in a case like this?

If you clearly specified 10 ft. x 14 ft., then there is no excuse for the file that was provided to you. I'm wondering - did you provide imagery that could be enlarged to that size, or was the freelancer expected to find something to use? If it was a raster image, then the imagery used would have to be suitable for large-format printing - did the freelancer show you what was going to be used before the whole image was created?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS