🐈
» Forums » Clients » File upload
Page options
ecb81efb
Community Member

File upload

Is there a place for freelancers to upload files besides in the message thread?

It took me literally 15 minutes to find the files i paid my freelancer to work on.  Had to go digging like crazy.

They should be at the top, front and center.... like HERE ARE YOUR FILES!  or "download your files here"

something.  

Overall I'm really unhappy about the upwork site.  I used to use Elance and it was very simple and easy to understand and now that I'm forced to switch to upwork, I haven't been able to do anything easily.  

Makes me want to find a different freelance website altogether.

14 REPLIES 14
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Once I've been hired, my clients and I use email rather than the  messaging system.  Sometimes dropbox or box.com, too.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Andrew,

I am sorry about the confusion. You should easily be able to access all files and links shared in the room by clicking on this icon:

Screenshot_8.png

I hope it helps.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Where are those icons located? When I go to the CONTRACT I can see:

Capture.PNG

Thanks

Hi Trish,

Please click the Messages tab, choose the appropriate message room on the left side and click on the file icon Valeria mentioned in her comment.

Files_.png

~ Vladimir
Upwork

No, not easy at all. I have a file I'd like to upload for my contract and can't figure out how to do so... He sent me a link via the message directly. I am attempting to do this "properly" but seems to be complicated. As well, how do I know that my customer knows how long it took me to do the translation? I used the time tracker, how do I pass the info to my client?

re: "how do I know that my customer knows how long it took me to do the translation? I used the time tracker, how do I pass the info to my client?"

You do not "pass the info" to your client.

The client has that information in their dashboard.

The information is updated regularly, and is up-to-date no later than 30 minutes after you do any work.

Your client can see screenshots of your work, and details about your work hours and activity.

This is for hourly contracts, of course. For fixed-price contracts, your hours are irrelevent. The client is paying for a deliverable. But, technically speaking, it is possible to use the desktop time-tracker application while doing fixed-price contracts. Just understand that it is not necessary to do so (most freelancers don't), and the hours don't count toward your profile total.

a_kanak
Community Member

Why did you leave Elance?  What's the advantage to that site over UpWork? What is the downfall?  What is the difference?  I've seen Elance called and UpWork company as per their website homepage, so is it just two of essentialy the same thing?

Elance was purchased by ODesk and together they became Upwork.

Not even close to the same thing. Sadly, so sadly, UpWork purchased Elance and sucked the easy out of all of the features.

Upwork was SOP user-friendly! Things were clearly labeled and easy to find.

UpWork is so conveluted and mystical - not easy to use, not easy to understand.

I wish Elance had never sold out. I stopped freelancing for a couple of years to do my own writing and now that I'm back and it's an UpWork company, I may stop again just due to the frustration level this irritating site causes.

I've even had clients say the same thing. They hate it just as much as I do.

Sad.

Hi Debora - I see your message was posted here a year ago and it seems nothing has changed. I, too, have had clients say the UpWork system is difficult to figure out. As I commented to one of my clients who expressed her frustration with the site, the site is about as user-intuitive as a rock. Smiley Frustrated I do agree, Elance was much easier to figure out.

scottdavid21
Community Member

Navigating the site can be a little frustrating at times. Still, it's fairly user-friendly. I didn't realize just how user-friendly until I joined up at another freelancer recently. Holy smokes it was awful there. It made me appreciate UpWork SO much more.

"You got any more cheese than this?" --Wendell

re: "I have a file I'd like to upload for my contract and can't figure out how to do so..."

Sandra:

Sending a file to a client is easy. You can use the Upwork messenger tool.

In the bottom right-hand corner there is a paperclip icon. Click on it...

Screen Shot 2018-05-12 at 11.56.47 AM.png

Choose "Upload a file"

Screen Shot 2018-05-12 at 11.57.48 AM.png

....and then pick a file.

Keep in mind that Upwork is not a file transfer tool. If you have extensive file transfer needs or needs that are not met by this tool, you are welcome to use any means necessary to transfer those files. Professional freelancers use tools such as FTP, email, Dropbox, etc.

~sigh~ this site is impossible to navigate. I paid for a file and I cannot FOR THE LIFE OF ME figure out how to download the file?!

I read through replies. Headscratcher. Can anyone help me?

Robert:
Upwork places no limitations whatsoever on how freelancers and clients exchange files.

I strongly recommend that if you are having difficulty using the Upwork tool itself for this purpose, that you use any method you want to use. Use whichever file sharing technique you are accustomed to using.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths