🐈
» Forums » Clients » Filing a complaint about a freelancer
Page options
d_eran
Community Member

Filing a complaint about a freelancer

The freelancer I hired decided to leave the project half way thorugh.

He does not agree to refund me.

Where can I file a complaint? 

7 REPLIES 7
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Dan,

I`m sorry to hear about the bad experience you`ve had. One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your freelancer and your contract. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hey, 

I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Dan: You are not actually required to file any sort of complaint. You are certainly allowed to just end the contract and forget about this freelancer completely.

You can assign the remaining work to the other team members.

kinector
Community Member

Dan E wrote:

The freelancer I hired decided to leave the project half way thorugh.

He does not agree to refund me.

Where can I file a complaint? 

Dan, your 1-star review is your complaint.

If something of value was delivered, it would be fair to pay for that part and let someone else finish.

If nothing was delivered to you, you should get a full refund (assuming it's a fixed-price project).

If nothing works out between you two, you can launch a dispute case.

One key question is why the freelancer left the project?

(As a freelancer, I never leave a project if I have anywhere near a decent client. Even with bad clients, I suffer the project through with pride, dignity, and utmost professionalism, but might not be giving a good review. And be sure to block them afterwards to make sure there are no further encounters.)

f8abb2eb
Community Member

I hired a freelancer. The job I posted was for $40. She sent me a spreadsheet of leads with the wrong addresses and locations by the deadline. When I told her the data on the spreadsheet was wrong she said it was her responsibility to fix it and said she would go back in and check all the addresses and remove the ones in areas I don't service. She emailed me on Christmas day and asked for more info. Naturally, I told her she didn't need to do it on Christmas day and to enjoy the day off. 3 days later I emailed (today) asking where the info is and she sends it back wrong again. I told her I did not trust her to fix it and to send me the $40 bill. She charged me $180. 

I just paid someone $180 for something that is useless and I only agreed to $40 for an accurate job. I am livid! Her name is **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Kelli,

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience with this freelancer. If you feel that you have been billed for more time than the freelancer worked on your project, you can file a dispute. A dispute is a formal disagreement on an hourly contract about your current invoice. Please keep in mind you would need to file the dispute, during the five days after the billing period closes.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Kelli F wrote:

I just paid someone $180 for something that is useless and I only agreed to $40 for an accurate job.

If you hired the freelancer on an hourly job, you agreed to pay for the hours spent working on the contract. If the conract had been a $ 40 fixed rate contract, rather than the hourly contract you set up yourself when you created the offer, the freelancer could not have charged you $ 180...

You can ask the freelancer to refund $ 140 and if that does not work, dispute. However, be aware that an hourly dispute will bnot be successful if the freelancer tracked her time correctly, as hourly contracts can not be disputed on the uality of the work. Only if the hours were not properly tracked, with screenshots and memos.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths