🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Filing a dispute because of quality of wo...
Page options
f35f17a9
Community Member

Filing a dispute because of quality of work

Hi,

Freelancer searched contacts for me.  I tried to find a solution with her directly, but she stopped replying.

How to do a dispute because of the bad quality fo the contacts she provided. I dont have any option in my account to contact support or get help besides this totally useless chatbot. I asked for refunds, but this doenst help much as the 7 day period is over. AND im not disputing her working hours, I´m disputing the quality fo the contatcs she provided.

Thanks for any helpful tips in advance,

Marco

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Marco:

Stop working with her.

Stop sending her messages.

She is part of the past.

Focus on the future.

The good news is that the problems with your process are things that YOU have the power to fix.

You may hire consultants to help you fix your process.

Or you can even talk about it here in the Forum and get free advice.

Your method for hiring and monitoring freelancer work was all wrong. You know that now. But it can be fixed. You can succeed in accomplishing your goals.

The first steps in accomplishing your goals:

1) Proactively decide that you will never, no matter what, ask freelancers for money. No refunds. No disputes. No arbitration.

2) Now that you know you won't be getting money back from freelancers, decide how to monitor freelancers effectively from the beginning of their work. Decide how to proactively decide which freelancers to fire and which to continue working with.

3) Hire multiple freelancers. Plan to fire most of them fairly quickly. Continue working only with the ones who provide you with the most value.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
prestonhunter
Community Member

Marco:

It is not Upwork's intention that you "file a dispute" because of the quality of a freelancer's work.

If you don't love a freelancer's work, then simply fire the freelancer. Stop working with her.

If you hired a freelancer

And she logged 2 hours of time

And the quality of her work is terrible 

Then close the contract.

You still need to pay for the work.

But if she logged time manually

Or did not write memos

Then you may successfully dispute the time

And you won't need to pay for those hours.

But you must dispute within the hourly review period.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062158-Dispute-an-Agency-or-Freelancer-s-Hours

re: "I dont have any option in my account to contact support or get help besides this totally useless chatbot."

I have hired 178 freelancers on Upwork.

I never need to contact Upwork Support in order to manage freelancers and contracts.

All of the tools I need are at my fingertips.

I can do what I want. Without asking. Without waiting.

This is tremendous power.

Your goal should be to learn how to gave that power. You simply need to learn where the buttons are located.

Hi Preston, yes you are right. And Im glad that you had such a successfull history on upwork, but that doesnt really help me in my situation. Im new to upwork and not really familiar with all the tools and options I might have. But I guess we can agree that having the option to contact support should be much easier to find if you need it instead of being forced to talk to the chatbot over and over again.

You don't need to contact Support.

We are here.

You are talking to knowledgeable Upwork users right now.

You can ask virtually any question you want here is this thread.

Don't use the chatbot. Talk to live people and get real answers to your questions here in the Forum.

If you talk to Support, the people you talk to aren't even Upwork clients. They aren't going to be able provide the level of real client perspective that we can provide in the Forum.

bobafett999
Community Member

Marco it happens.  You hired a poor freelancer and did not monitor her work.  Upwork is not a vending machine where you plop coins and get the sugar water you desire.

How much money is involved?

1.5K €. She was hired to make a contactlist of 4k contacts. We did spotchecks before but weren´t aware of the bad quality. Now after she finished, we did a full quality check and had to find out, that 60% of these contacts are unusable. Im not looking for the sugarwater and I tried to find a solution with her, but she stopped responding to my messages. 

Marco:

Stop working with her.

Stop sending her messages.

She is part of the past.

Focus on the future.

The good news is that the problems with your process are things that YOU have the power to fix.

You may hire consultants to help you fix your process.

Or you can even talk about it here in the Forum and get free advice.

Your method for hiring and monitoring freelancer work was all wrong. You know that now. But it can be fixed. You can succeed in accomplishing your goals.

The first steps in accomplishing your goals:

1) Proactively decide that you will never, no matter what, ask freelancers for money. No refunds. No disputes. No arbitration.

2) Now that you know you won't be getting money back from freelancers, decide how to monitor freelancers effectively from the beginning of their work. Decide how to proactively decide which freelancers to fire and which to continue working with.

3) Hire multiple freelancers. Plan to fire most of them fairly quickly. Continue working only with the ones who provide you with the most value.

re: "60% of these contacts are unusable"

But if you only hired one person, that number is essentially meaningless.

You can not compare a freelancer's work unless you hire more than one freelancer.

"Lennie" hired six people to work on the same task.

Here are the results:

Abbie: 20% unusable

Bart: 60% unusable

Candy: 62% unusable

Dan: 70% unusable

Eric: 75% unusable

Fern: 80% unusable 

As you can see from these numbers, 60% is one of the better results.

After seeing these results, Lennie decided to continue working with Abbie, and he ALSO worked on improving his system, and he worked on training Abbie so that the work quality increased. And he worked on finding and hiring more people like Abbie.

What Lennie did NOT do was pay a single freelancer 1,500 without carefully reviewing the work.

Lennie paid each freelancer only a small amount before he had enough information to evaluate their work and fire the underperforming freelancers.

The original poster's problem is with the PROCESS. The problem is not a single freelancer hired to work on the project.

re: "60% of these contacts are unusable"

The coach wanted to evaluate a new athlete in the team. He had her run the course.

She finished in 23.2 seconds.

Now tell me, based on this data set:

Is she fast? Slow? Average?

bobafett999
Community Member

Marco, I can't comment on your hiring matric, but your monitoring their work socks.  You waited too long to check the work.

It is not my field,  but paying about 35 cents a contact seems low. Low price low quality.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths