🐈
» Forums » Clients » Firing a Freelncer
Page options
343b17bf
Community Member

Firing a Freelncer

I wanted to know if there was an option to "fire" or "let go" of a freelancer. i feel like we are not connecting properly on my vision at all and it has been a few days now of going back and forth and not seeing my vision. i will pay her for the time that shes given but not the full amount. is this possible to do this? there is no help contact center for this website 

11 REPLIES 11
lysis10
Community Member

Taylor M wrote:

I wanted to know if there was an option to "fire" or "let go" of a freelancer. i feel like we are not connecting properly on my vision at all and it has been a few days now of going back and forth and not seeing my vision. i will pay her for the time that shes given but not the full amount. is this possible to do this? there is no help contact center for this website 

Is this escrow? You can talk to the freelancer and see if they won't ask for the full amount and take a partial payment. If they disagree and this is escrow, then you both will have to go into mediation.

richard_wein
Community Member

Taylor M wrote:

You can end a contract at any time, as described here 

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062248-End-a-Contract

I assume this is a fixed price contract, in which case you will have the opportunity to release part of the funds in escrow to the freelancer. The freelancer will be asked if they agree to have the remaining funds in escrow returned to you. If they feel the amount you released was not fair, they can dispute the refund.

It may be a good idea to discuss this with the freelancer before ending the contract.

financemark
Community Member

The Profile is No Longer Available --- so I cant see your vision either.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Taylor:

Firing freelancers is one of the most important skills for any client who uses Upwork regularly.

EVERY job niche and pay level combination has a statistically predictable failure rate.

If you are a frequent Upwork client who is NOT firing underperforming freelancers sometimes, then you are probably doing something wrong.

In a sense, you MUST "fire" freelancers in order to use the site.

This is true even if all of the freelancers you work with are WONDERFUL!

What if you hire a freelancer to design a book cover for you, and she does an AWESOME JOB?

And then you have the book cover... And... you don't have any other books...

What are you supposed to do next?

You are supposed to thank her for her work and close the contract, and leave appropriately grateful feedback.

Technically, you have "fired" her. Because she is no longer under contract to you.

There is no "fire" button on Upwork. There is "closing a contract" and "continuing a contract."

When a freelancer's work is finished, the freelancer is happy to have the contract closed and receive feedback. Yes, this means the freelancer is happy to be "fired" from being under your "employ." Because this is freelancing.

But also: When a freelancer doesn't measure up... or simply isn't the right person for your project, then you SHOULD "fire" him. Even if his work is not done. If you already know his work doesn't meet your expectations, then stop working with him. Put your project first. Don't try to be a mentor or teacher to freelancers. (Unless you want to. But that's not really the purpose of this site.)

A client may end a contract AT ANY TIME. For any reason. Or for no reason at all.

If you have an hourly contract, simply navigate to the contract listing, look for the "three dots" icon, click it to display the dropdown menu, and choose any option that says "End Contract" or "Cancel Contract" or "Close Contract."

If you have a fixed-price contract, then do the same. If you have a milestone task funded in escrow, then the BEST and fastest and simplest way to fire the freelancer is to release all remaining escrow funds and then close the contract immediately.

More in-depth information is provided elsewhere (including by myself) in other places and other threads. For example, there are ways to request refunds, etc. But for most clients and most situations? That's just a waste of time.

re: "i will pay her for the time that shes given but not the full amount. is this possible to do this?"

I don't think underperforming freelancers deserve that kind of special, extra attention. But if you want to pay less than the full amount, then yes, there are ways.

The EASIEST way is to just talk to the freelancer, tell her that you can't continue working with her and ask her to give you a partial refund.

There are ways to TRY to get money back if you don't talk to a freelancer and work out an agreement first, but they are more complicated and less certain than just asking the freelancer.

It seems a lot of clients on the UpWork platform are under the impression they can magically get their money back if they don't a) like the work performed by someone, b) don't enjoy working with the freelancer, c) cancelled their project.. etc.  The list goes on.

Is it like this on other freelancing sites, where they can get their money back and screw over workers for their time spent honestly trying to satisfy the needs of the client?

Just seems weird.

Jason B wrote:

It seems a lot of clients on the UpWork platform are under the impression they can magically get their money back if they don't a) like the work performed by someone, b) don't enjoy working with the freelancer, c) cancelled their project.. etc.  The list goes on.

Is it like this on other freelancing sites, where they can get their money back and screw over workers for their time spent honestly trying to satisfy the needs of the client?

Just seems weird.

Oh yes, it's everywhere. You gotta protect your own interests. I think that Upwork's system is very freelancer friendly and for the most part, you can get all or a good portion of your money if you play it right. The problem is that most people don't know how things work.

yitwail
Community Member

Jennifer M wrote:

Jason B wrote:

Just seems weird.

Oh yes, it's everywhere. You gotta protect your own interests. I think that Upwork's system is very freelancer friendly and for the most part, you can get all or a good portion of your money if you play it right. The problem is that most people don't know how things work.

If you use time tracker properly on an hourly job, it's hard not to get paid. I've worked over 1300 hours at Upwork, and was paid for every hour. Of course, if you're philosophically disinclined or otherwise unable to use time tracker, then you take your chances with manual time or fixed price escrow, where clients have carte blanche to dispute.

Spot on!

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Taylor,

Since there are funds remaining in escrow, when you end this fixed-price contract you can choose to release a final payment, or request an escrow refund for the remaining amount. You can check this help article for more information. 

Once the contract has ended both parties have the opportunity to provide feedback.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
867d5132
Community Member

Which work did you give me

Latest Articles
Learning Paths