cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First job posting: Freelancer ask to pledge that I'll give 5 star feedback at the end of the job.

ea9e17be
Mert G Member Since: Oct 25, 2016
1 of 5

So I posted a job yesterday. One of the freelancers I invited got back to me and firstly said that the amount of money I offer is too little and I probably 'won't be able to pay' the amount she requests. I thought this was just a stupid joke but then she said that she is not usually accepting jobs from new clients on upwork because they are having 'bad behaviour' and are 'amateurs who cannot evaluate the quality of a job' and asked me to officially pledge in the text that I will give her the highest feedback rating no matter how the job is complete.

I, of course, gave the job to someone else but still quite outraged by this behaviour. I'll never EVER use upwork again if this kind of behaviour does not have a response from the developers. 

The messages are stored on my upwork profile (they are in Turkish) so, reach out to me.

stencil_media
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
2 of 5

You should report them to support, or hopefully a moderator will be along shortly, and they can raise it for you. Seems very odd stuff to say to a potential client, so I can say with a reasonable level of confidence that most freelancers here don't communicate like that!

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
3 of 5

Hi Mert,

I'm sorry about the way this user communicated with you. Our team will review your communication and take appropriate action.

Thank you for the report.

Untitled
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 5

Mert:

Thank you for your report about this.

This is really just awful.

You're a smart person, so obviously you know that Upwork would not exist if this kind of thing was typical of freelancers here.

I have hired about 50 freelancers on Upwork. Most are really wonderful to work with. But Upwork allows a great deal of freedom in terms of who is allowed to work here and how they communicate with clients. So there are indeed bad apples. You should absolutely be prepared to end communications with freelancers who are unprofessional, and you should be prepared to stop working with freelancers whose work does not impress you.

Exact percentages vary according to job niche and pay level, but in my experience, I would say 80% of freelancers are great to work with and the rest are people you should not waste time with.

ea9e17be
Mert G Member Since: Oct 25, 2016
5 of 5

Thank you everyone for responses.

I am really hoping that this won't go unanswered. I will be expecting a feedback on the matter.

Best,

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS