cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First project, already a disaster.

Adil L Member Since: May 30, 2017
1 of 5

I was looking for a 5-pages business website to be developed for a friend. 
I received many offers including one of 20 hours + some extra time for a plugin (estimation confirmed in upwork chat).

I was on holiday last week and now I found out the developer has billed 40 hours, and the basic website isn't even finished. He tells me he needs 20 additional hours and so 60 in total.

The developer has a very good rating, but I don't see much difference between scamming and this way of working. 
Is there a way to dispute this, and how would this end? I really can't accept this!

Regards.

Community Guru
Maryam N Member Since: Sep 4, 2016
2 of 5

The first step is to talk to the developer. I would never bill extra hours without communication and discussion. He has already told you in his Chat that it won't take more than 20-40 hours so, you can dispute this. I think you will win this dispute because he is not doing work as you agreed. 

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
3 of 5

@Maryam N wrote:

The first step is to talk to the developer. I would never bill extra hours without communication and discussion. He has already told you in his Chat that it won't take more than 20-40 hours so, you can dispute this. I think you will win this dispute because he is not doing work as you agreed. 

Maryam, you really need to stop doling out advice that isn't founded on the TOS. You did this in another freelancer thread today as well. Please, don't tell people left, right and center they should/can dispute things they cannot and surely won't win based on the reasons you cite. Thanks

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
BEST ANSWER
4 of 5

Hi Adil,

If you have concerns about the hours logged on your contract, pause the contract to prevent any more time from being logged, ask your freelancer for an explanation, review the Work Diary and file a dispute for the hours logged last week if any of the segments aren't related to your job.

Going forward, make sure to agree on the number of hours your freelancer needs to complete the job, set a weekly limit on your Hourly contracts and review the Work Diary regularly during the week the hours are logged in, in order to follow the progress of your job and stay on top of your project.

Please review our Hourly Payment Protection requirements.

Community Guru
Gerry S Member Since: Nov 23, 2014
5 of 5

There are web sites; and there are cr*p sites.

There are pros annd there are amateurs.

Generalizing in this case is pointless; without being able to see the results; though I would not let a week go without seeing something (and approving / not approving it).

UpWork is not a nanny ... and they are not your friend either.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS