🐈 Community
d93f0472

Fixed price VS $/word rate

Hello all,

one more small question from a beginner. 

I am searching for a writer for a book from 8-10K words and negotiate a certain $ per 100 words rate with each writer.

I don´t mind if it will be 8 or 10k but obviosly 10k word book should be more expensive. Upword requires to pay fix price. How do I technically pay the right amount which may be different from a fix price?

Do I put price for 8K and then create an idividual job for selected writer and compensate him the rest in case he writes a 9-10k word book? Any smarter ways to do that?

Many thanks in advance,

Elena

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
abdulrazaq89

Dear Elena, 

There is an easy way to work. You can divide the work into milestones. Set a milestone for each chapter. Evaluate it, and if you satisfied, you could move into next milestone. 

Suppose that If you have 1,000 words in Chapter 1, you can set a sign for it, Or you can set benchmark per pages. Definitely, If you go out quality content, then you need to pay more. 

My observation is that you can pay $ 25-30 per 1,000 words and I am in writing industry since 2010. 

Best 

Abdul

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
kfarnell

but obviosly 10k word book should be more expensive.

Not necessarily. Sometimes, it's more work to write shorter. It depends on the nature of the book and whether additional wordage requires more research (for example).

But if you agree a fixed rate for 8k words and you think the freelancer has provided more (or better) work than agreed, you can add a bonus payment to cover that.

abdulrazaq89

Dear Elena, 

There is an easy way to work. You can divide the work into milestones. Set a milestone for each chapter. Evaluate it, and if you satisfied, you could move into next milestone. 

Suppose that If you have 1,000 words in Chapter 1, you can set a sign for it, Or you can set benchmark per pages. Definitely, If you go out quality content, then you need to pay more. 

My observation is that you can pay $ 25-30 per 1,000 words and I am in writing industry since 2010. 

Best 

Abdul

To add to Rene's link: http://www.londonfreelance.org/rates/

Well, I've been in the 'writing industry' since well before 1990 and my observation is that you *can* pay $25-30 per 1,000 words, but you can also hit yourself over the head with a teatray and neither might be the wisest of moves.

@Kim F wrote:

To add to Rene's link: http://www.londonfreelance.org/rates/

Well, I've been in the 'writing industry' since well before 1990 and my observation is that you *can* pay $25-30 per 1,000 words, but you can also hit yourself over the head with a teatray and neither might be the wisest of moves.

lol you gotta wonder what they've been doing in this writing industry of theirs. You know it's blaaahging. You just know it.

versailles

And as usual, the reference: http://www.the-efa.org/res/rates.php

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

@Elena V wrote:

Hello all,

one more small question from a beginner. 

I am searching for a writer for a book from 8-10K words and negotiate a certain $ per 100 words rate with each writer.

I don´t mind if it will be 8 or 10k but obviosly 10k word book should be more expensive. Upword requires to pay fix price. How do I technically pay the right amount which may be different from a fix price?

Do I put price for 8K and then create an idividual job for selected writer and compensate him the rest in case he writes a 9-10k word book? Any smarter ways to do that?

Many thanks in advance,

Elena

Do you mean you posted a job for a fixed rate contract?

Because Upwork does not REQUIRE you to initiate a fixed rate contract?

Hi Elena,  another writer with decades of experience (like Kim) chiming in ...

Upwork offers fixed v. hourly ... and most writers do not take on hourly gigs for a number of reasons. Hourly jobs are excellent for IT work; they are nearly impossible for writing or art.

You have an estimated word count for the book.  Novels of any genre: The actual content - from storyline (plot) onward - plus character development, the weaving of information, intrigue, and actions if called for, and the cohesiveness of all these elements is far more important than the actual word count.

Scientific books, etc.: The actual content and proof or rebuttal of theory or premise is more important than actual number of words.  

Inserting extra, i.e., unneeded, words to reach a word count can kill a book - or any other written material.

Use an estimated price; work with milestones and, if more words are needed to make the book read better, add a milestone.

Hope this helps.

Learning Paths