cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixed price dispute

Ashton W Member Since: Apr 25, 2016
1 of 4

I entered into a contract with a Freelance for 7 one minute whiteboard videos for a fixed price of $150. I had a milestone of $60 for the first video because I did not want the freelancer to create all 7 without me seeing his work on one. After seeing the storyboard for the first video, I released the first milestone and set another milestone for all 7 videos with $90 being released, adding up to $150. The freelancer was upset because he thought he was being paid $150 for each video, but if that was the case wouldn't I have needed to list the fixed price of $1050? Now he has disputed the charges because I cancelled the job. I don't want to pay $150 for one  video, but are my only options to pay in full or pay more for arbitration? 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 4

If you paid him for the first one and released the escrow, he can keep that. He'll lose the other one though. Seems like there was some miscommunication. He won't win if he did nothing for the other milestone. He's stupid if he tries to dispute it.

Ashton W Member Since: Apr 25, 2016
3 of 4

Well he did create one video, but the job posting said 7...so I don't feel like I should have to pay him the remaining balance. 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 4

It's a fixed-price contract.

You're the client.

You can pay whatever amount you want.

You can pay zero if you want. You can pay more. It's up to you.

If you pay an amount different than the agreed upon amount, the contractor will need to approve the amount. If he doesn't approve, that moves to a dispute.

But a reasonable contractor who did only part of the job will accept only part of the pay and won't dispute the client's decision.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS