Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flagging Innapropiate - What Happens?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mark K Member Since: Jul 7, 2016
1 of 7

Flagging as Innapropriate:  I have noticed LOTS of client job postings where part of the intervew questions request various forms of free work, or suggest that compensation will be conditional on some even after work product is delivered (example below).

1. I believe many of these are academic assignments that have been posted to appear like legitimate work requests.

2. I think that others are from unscrupulous clients who seek to gain access to files (Excel Modeling, etc) and have no intention to hire a Freelancer.

3. Some clients have even asked for a significant amount of work be performed as part of their "assessment".  Example: Review two health clinic financial files, consolidate them into one and show summary P&L and detail --- was one: THIS represents an amount of work that exceed three hours of time.

PAYMENT CONDITIONAL ON CLIENT RAISING CAPITAL:

If this is something you are interested and you have experience with what is involved in raising capital, please respond with your hourly rates (to be paid upon raising capital).

Perhaps this is taboo on Upwork, but ALL of these examples are from clients who have LONG histories of work on the platform.  Further, none of my flagging has resulted in A SINGLE deletion of the project from the board.  [Note; this behavior was rarely tolerated on Elance and CS persons were available to discuss the flag].

I am entering dangerous territory for bringing this up, but it is necessary, in my view, if Upwork has any intention of creating and maintaining solid, quality-level, and honest freelancers & clients.

Any thoughts or insights on how to "CLEAN UP" the jobs board -- REALLY!!!  

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 7

Hi Mark,

Please note you can flag jobs or report them directly to Customer Support, with evidence you've found that suggest any of the violations you noted. We do have a system to identify these jobs and do also address users reports. As we noted before, we don't share actions our team takes, and it's possible the jobs you mentioned were not addressed, where actually actioned and amended, or were found not in violation of our ToS.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mark K Member Since: Jul 7, 2016
3 of 7

Hello Vlad,

Nice to see you have transitioned to Upwork - from prior firm.

Thank for the response.

1. However, can you please be more specific about HOW a user can provide evidence of violations, short of clicking a radio-button list of 5-6 violation types?   Is there another mechanism for reporting suspected violations - other than clicking the "flag" button?  Can we open a discussion with a CS representative for example?  Can we send a more lengthy explanation in an email?  How often does Upwork review the flags?  Where can I read Upworks terms that illustrate prohibited client activities? 

2. Also, is academic fraud allowed on Upwork?

This service is really flooded with innappropriate client behaviors -- it is very unethical and borders on the illegal.

MK

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
4 of 7

I personally have gotten two academic fraudsters removed in the last week.  (Both were invitation only and obviously law students).  I also filed a ticket with CS which got almost immediate response.  I ticked off the "fraud" box.  If I had the energy, I would have played along and found out where they attend law school and reported them to their dean.  Maybe next time.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
5 of 7

@Mary W wrote:

I personally have gotten two academic fraudsters removed in the last week.  (Both were invitation only and obviously law students).  I also filed a ticket with CS which got almost immediate response.  I ticked off the "fraud" box.  If I had the energy, I would have played along and found out where they attend law school and reported them to their dean.  Maybe next time.

The sad thing is that flagging alone doesn't work. I've flagged a profile twice and nothing has changed. I know that things would be different if I filed a ticket like Mary did... so what's the point of having this flagging feature???

Highlighted
Community Guru
Lisa W Member Since: Nov 14, 2015
6 of 7

I still don't quite understand why we aren't allowed to know what actions are taken on an account that has been flagged. If it didn't violate the TOS, shouldn't we know so we can be confident in applying for such a job in the future? If it did violate TOS and the client was scolded or was forced to change something, we should be aware of that as well, so we can know we were right in avoiding it and flagging it. By keeping this information secret, I'm guessing Upwork gets tons of flags that aren't valid. I've flagged jobs from clients that had spent tens of thousands on Upwork but were blatantly asking for free work. The jobs were not removed and no explanation was given. That was when I gave up flagging. It's simply not worth it if the process is hidden for some odd reason.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
7 of 7

@Olga Q wrote:

The sad thing is that flagging alone doesn't work. I've flagged a profile twice and nothing has changed. I know that things would be different if I filed a ticket like Mary did... so what's the point of having this flagging feature???

I've filed a ticket today. An hour later I was informed that they would reach out to the freelancer.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS