cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For third party arbitration is there any extra money we may pay?

sari h Member Since: May 30, 2017
1 of 13

Hello,

a freelanser did not do a good job for me and he file a filed a dispute against me and we many continou to the reach third party arbitration.

My question is there any extar money we mmay need to pay for the third party arbitration?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 13

@sari h wrote:

My question is there any extar money we mmay need to pay for the third party arbitration?

Yes, it will cost you, the freelancer and Upwork $ 291 each. This is not refundable.

3 of 13

since it is the first time, can I knwo the process or the steps that we need to follow until we reach to the arbitration?

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 13

Hi Sari,

You can find the steps in the legal doc I linked in my previous comment. If a dispute is already filed, our team will follow up and guide you through the process.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
5 of 13

@sari h wrote:

since it is the first time, can I knwo the process or the steps that we need to follow until we reach to the arbitration?

It will be like online court, if you can imagine. An arbiter will introduce himself and ask questions in phases. I can't remember the exact phases, but there are 3-4 rounds of questioning where the arbiter will ask both of you to describe the situation and then he will comment and ask questions. He will also go through teh workroom/message room, which is why I recommend keeping at least the important stuff in the room. Also, it's why you have to be careful what you sign because he will ask you to upload any extra contracts. It's also why providers are idiots for offering a moneyback guarantee and then filing any dispute cuz it's auto lose.

6 of 13

Hi Sari,

I'm sorry to hear about the disagreement you're having with your freelancer. Each of the dispute parties and Upwork will share the arbitration cost equally ($291 each). You can find more information in Upwork Fixed-Price Escrow Instructions.

7 of 13

Thnsk to U all.

Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
8 of 13

@Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Sari,

I'm sorry to hear about the disagreement you're having with your freelancer. Each of the dispute parties and Upwork will share the arbitration cost equally ($291 each). You can find more information in Upwork Fixed-Price Escrow Instructions.

What I've never been able to fathom is why Upwork also pays $291 when arbitration is involved, since Upwork is not a party to the dispute. Does Upwork have to pay the fee because they have to enforce the final decision, or is there another reason?

9 of 13

Hi Reinier,

Participating in covering the total cost of arbitration by paying one third of the arbitration fee is a courtesy from Upwork's end and not a requirement. 

Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
10 of 13

@Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Reinier,

Participating in covering the total cost of arbitration by paying one third of the arbitration fee is a courtesy from Upwork's end and not a requirement. 

Thanks for the clarification Vladimir. Now it makes sense.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS