Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Foreign Work and Taxes

Active Member
Ed W Member Since: May 6, 2015
1 of 4

Hey everyone!


I'm a little lost on this.


If I hire someone to do a job out of the US (a virtual assistant job doing tasks for me) how do I file this? What forms do I use? I just want to make sure all of this is together before I hire anyone.


Thank you!

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
2 of 4

Subject to verification by a tax expert, if you hire a virtual assistant off of Upwork they are an independent contractor, upwork handles the forms they do and you have your statements in your account.  you use the invoices in your account to support your expense deduction. You will write them off as a deduction. 


And for your information your expense deductions can be found


Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
3 of 4

As a Client of the oDesk marketplace, it's your responsibility to determine whether your Freelancers should be classified as independent contractors or as employees. If you're unsure about their proper classification, we encourage you to consult your personal HR, legal or tax experts. You can also check out our payroll option here:



Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 4
If you pay taxes for the musicians who record music when you buy a song from iTunes, then you should pay taxes for oDesk contractors you hire.