cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud and Scam

Mads L Member Since: Oct 14, 2015
1 of 25

Hi tried for some time to post in the "live Support", with no luck with 25 in front of me..

After change Odesk change to Upwork, we experience massive fraud, fake profiles and workers who make fake tracking and screenshots. ( we even experince contracors watch movies on Netflix, with full activity)

1. First of all, timing on the Screenshots dont match Upwork vs the local developers laptop-  even in same time zone, hours between

2. More than 20 minutes between SH, meaning that contracter can work 15 minute one our and get payd for one hour

3. Contracter get paid even if the dont touch enything for more than 15 min

4. We experince freelancers who work suspicious many hours, non stop with full activity (all green), for more than 15 hours in a row, ( no eating, toilet, coffe brak what so ever - ) full activity.. !

5. 30% of Upwork Candidates who is recomeded by Upwork are Frauders ! - how can that be ?, no control on their recomendations or identity- most of them pretend to be " Bill Scott", "Peter Smith" all based in Lodnon, Stockholm etc. etc-- but when you try to interview them trough skype, they will only chat and say ... yeahhh, my microphone dont work, lets chat instead etc. etc..  

FYI we spend more than 400K usd on Odesk and Upwork - but it wil stop .. in near future

Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 25

I really hope you flag such instances?

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
3 of 25

The best way to make your report is to submit a written ticket to customer support. But make sure you back your claims up with links and screenshots of fraudulent behaviour.

Community Guru
Walker R Member Since: Sep 30, 2015
4 of 25

I think customer support is too busy with eLance conversion problems that they would not have time to look at that.  For that reason I quit reporting fraudulent jobs on eLance.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 25

Mads, thank you for your post.

With the negative experiences you have had recently with fraudulent contractors, I don't blame you for wanting to look at other platforms to fill your online contracting needs.

One thing confuses me, and that is your comment about waiting a long time to contact live support. Why do you need to contact customer support?

You already are able to identify bad contractors. You should close the contracts on any contractor who fails to thrill you with the work that turn in. If a contractor's work diaries are suspicious to you, you should end the contract with them. Also, you have the ability to flag suspicious and non-work-related work diary screenshots and not pay for them.

"Payment Protection. Upwork Payment Protection assures you that you pay only for work you've approved."

You don't need to contact customer support to do these things.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 25

Preston H wrote: 1) Also, you have the ability to flag suspicious and non-work-related work diary screenshots and not pay for them.

2) "Payment Protection. Upwork Payment Protection assures you that you pay only for work you've approved."

You are getting things mixed up again.

1) You can not "flag screenshots" and then not pay for them.

You can raise a dispute (AFTER having paid for them) and if the dispute is successful the money comes back. Very different. And ONLY possible for the last work-week.

2) That is for fixed rate contracts. NOT hourly contracts.

Community Guru
7 of 25

re: "That is for fixed rate contracts. NOT hourly contracts."

This is a common misunderstanding.

But Payment Protection actually applies to both hourly and fixed-price contracts.

https://www.upwork.com/i/howitworks/client/
Work Diary. This tool captures snapshots of your freelancer's screen every 10 minutes, helping to verify that on hourly jobs, work has been completed as invoiced.

Payment Protection. Upwork Payment Protection assures you that you pay only for work you've approved.

https://www.upwork.com/hiring/for-clients/how-to-manage-your-first-project-with-upwork-payment-prote...

Upwork Payment Protection helps provide security and peace of mind to clients and freelancers working together on both hourly and fixed-price projects.

Upwork Payment Protection consists of two sub-programs:
- Upwork Hourly Protection for hourly contracts
- Upwork Fixed-Price Protection for fixed-price contracts

Community Guru
8 of 25

@Preston H wrote:

re: "That is for fixed rate contracts. NOT hourly contracts."

This is a common misunderstanding.

It is. And not mine. It's mainly causedby not very clear wording.

Please re-read my detailed explanation why it is completely incorrect to state that it is possible "flag screenshots and not pay for them!"

Firstly you can not "flag screenshots" at all - and secondly you can only raise a dispute (and thirdly only for the previous week) AFTER you have already paid, as the dispute button does not appear until afterwards.

It is also wrong to state that clients do not have to pay for work unless they approved it on hourly contracts because 1) they pay before being able to dispute and 2) even if they don't approve of the work done, but the work diary is mainly fine, any dispute will be unsuccessful because quality of work is not a valid dispute reason on hourly contracts.

Community Guru
9 of 25

Petra, I believe you...

I think there may be a bit of marketing-based reality distortion present in some of Upwork's wording and information about Upwork's claims that clients only pay for hourly work they approve of.

For the record, your description of how problems with fraudulent hourly work is handled is no doubt ACCURATE.

But as a client, I prefer my IMAGINED system. (I described how I THOUGHT the system works, but that was not based on first-hand experience doing any such flagging of screenshots.) If clients COULD flag fraudulent blocks of work diary before paying for them, I'm sure most would welcome the ability to do so. Whether or not such a feature would lead to unmanageable levels of abuse by clients is another question entirely. I really don't know the answer to that.

Community Guru
10 of 25

@Preston H wrote:

Petra, I believe you...

For the record, your description of how problems with fraudulent hourly work is handled is no doubt ACCURATE.

But as a client, I prefer my IMAGINED system.

You may prefer what you like, and you may imagine what you like, but advice to others should be based on facts and on how the system works,not on how we would like it to work or how we imagine it to work Smiley Wink

And yes, the wording is very wishy-washy and clients are frequently in for rude awakenings when they were happily plugging along in their little world of how they imagined it would work, until one day things go wrong and they are confronted with the cold reality of how it actually does....

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS