🐈
» Forums » Clients » Fraud from a non verified client - Beware of ...
Page options
english2french
Community Member

Fraud from a non verified client - Beware of already flagged job post !

Hi!

I saw a job post from a client (non verified, first job post) asking for a translation Eng to Fr, 200 pages, for 1500 $. As many others, I replied and got an answer from the potential client, asking me a "test". Believe me or not, this client (a girl with what sounds like a fake profile picture) wanted a 1200 words free translation as a test... and divided the 200 pages in several parts... to get it translated for free by all the candidates... Mayne not all of them accepted, but all of them spent the 2 credits.
As I was complaining about that practice, the girl asked me to "just proofread" a translation of the same pages. Weird translation, many mistakes, almost on each word... I did it for free for 300 words then sent it back. Never heard from her again. I flagged.
I received a message saying that the post had been removed but I see it again now... The same message, same job, same unverified account... and always 5 to 10 freelancers spending their credits on answering, hoping for a real client.

Why Upwork does not get the credit back to cfreelancer when there is obvious scam like that that are flagged by us ?

Cheers!
Chris

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jr-translation
Community Member

I get my credits back when a job is closed by UW. The important thing is that we keep flagging. It is frustrating that the same jobs show up again and again, but maybe some clients learn when their jobs keep getting closed. I started to flag all translation jobs lacking information as " There's no clear, defined deliverable".

But I agree that it is possible to waste credits on jobs that are not real. It is the same as jobs that are abandond by the client. Just filter more closely and save your credits for jobs with only few competitors.

What I am wondering is, did you get a wordcount as well? I would expect more information before I start any sample work. My limit there is 100 words. It is a great filter. The clients either disapear at that stage or they hire me.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jr-translation
Community Member

I get my credits back when a job is closed by UW. The important thing is that we keep flagging. It is frustrating that the same jobs show up again and again, but maybe some clients learn when their jobs keep getting closed. I started to flag all translation jobs lacking information as " There's no clear, defined deliverable".

But I agree that it is possible to waste credits on jobs that are not real. It is the same as jobs that are abandond by the client. Just filter more closely and save your credits for jobs with only few competitors.

What I am wondering is, did you get a wordcount as well? I would expect more information before I start any sample work. My limit there is 100 words. It is a great filter. The clients either disapear at that stage or they hire me.

Thanks for your answer 😉 But really, in translation, there is no job with few freelancers... after few minutes, you sometimes get already 15 to 20 bids... after one hour, it sounds like just impossible to make it through 20 to 50 answers... 😕

I never apply for a job with more than 20 candidates unless I am 100% sure that I am the right person. I am sure we are all competing against low budget agencies from Asia so you have to make your point in the cover letter why you are the best person for the job. I do not know how your JSS has developed in the past weeks, but I just recovered from a 84%.

I recomment you specialize on a subject or two and maybe you can create a reference project in your portfolio e.g. I held a presentation the other day about crytocurrency and added that to my portfolio as reference for clients.

On the other hand I do not know your background but I came past some people who translate just because they know how to use a dictionary (or just google). They offer rediciouly low prices and their lack of qualification shows when paying a closer look. So, if you are a real translator and have the will to make it here keep going,you are always betten then those. If you intend to make some extra money because you learnd some English back at school, you might want to reconsider.

Many thanks for your time in answerring and your nice advices 🙂

Cheers,

Christine

Latest Articles
Learning Paths