cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraudulent Freelancer Profiles

Highlighted
John E Member Since: Feb 3, 2018
1 of 25

I have very serious concerns about offshore freelancers creating and using flaudulent profiles that were supposedly verifiied by Upwork. The last two offshore freelancers I hired created fraudulent profiles and I am trying to understand the process Upwork uses to verify a freelancers identity.  I lost over $500 to one of those freelancers and Upwork refuses to terminate his profile.

When I confronted the second freelancer, he responded by saying he was a verified freelancer already had done video call with Upwork to verify his identity. I have strong evidnece to the contray and I can prove inconclusively that both of these freelancers profiles are fraudelent. I reported by of these freelancers to Upwork and both freelancers are still active.

Upwork may be unaware that unscupulus offshore freelancers have figured out how to get around the freelancer verification process. But I am struggling to understand why Upwork refuses to take action after I have reported these freelancers and provided evidence of fraud.

I am left with the impression Upwork simply doesn't care because enforcing it's terms of service regarding freelancer profiles would result in lost revenues.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 25

Sorry to hear you feel this way about Upwork, John. We take reports and evidence of ToS violations seriously. That said, unfortunately, we can't share details about another user's account status or actions that are taken against them for privacy reasons. 

I will check on your ticket and make sure that proper actions are taken.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
3 of 25

Upwork has done absolutely NOTHING in response to my complaint. You guys temporarily suspended the profiles of the two freelancers that created these fraudulent profiles and then REACTIVATED THEM! I can't believe you guys did that. Why???

Why are you allowing offshore freelancers to continue doing business on Upwork after I proved both of their profiles are fake? Why won't you believe what I'm telling you? Sending money to unknown entity or an individual in a forgein country is not something I'm willing to do. The process you're using to verify freelancer identities is not working .

I am convinced now more than ever that your organization simply does not care.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ryan C Member Since: Feb 3, 2017
4 of 25

Hello John,

We're sorry to hear about your experience. Please note that our team carefully reviewed the account and had already taken the necessary action. Unfortunately, we can't share information about other user's account. Thank you for understanding.

Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
5 of 25

@John E wrote:

Upwork has done absolutely NOTHING in response to my complaint. You guys temporarily suspended the profiles of the two freelancers that created these fraudulent profiles and then REACTIVATED THEM! I can't believe you guys did that. Why???

Why are you allowing offshore freelancers to continue doing business on Upwork after I proved both of their profiles are fake? Why won't you believe what I'm telling you? Sending money to unknown entity or an individual in a forgein country is not something I'm willing to do. The process you're using to verify freelancer identities is not working .

I am convinced now more than ever that your organization simply does not care.

You would not have to send money to unknown entity or individual in a 'foreign' country if you pay through Upwork,so this should not be a problem for you wherever a freelancer resides. 

If a freelancer requests payment outside Upwork, then report them and keep on reporting them, because this type of freelancer will simply keep on opening new accounts. Similarly, there are clients who do exactly the same thing and it is difficult to keep up with them.

What do you mean by "offshore" freelancer?  

Highlighted
Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
6 of 25

Well Upwork is not a Interpol.  They do not have the ability, capacity, talent, and money to verify each and every individual on planet and do the background checks.  Just like they do not know if the buyer is fake orr scammer.  Most they can do is kick those people from their house. They connect people and then it is up to them to develop the mutual trust and define their working relationship.

Highlighted
7 of 25

I disagree. Upwork Global Inc. is headquartered in Mountain View, CA in the heart of Silicon Valley and I am confident they have sufficient resources and the technology to verify freelancer identities ( at least with reasonable accuracy). The current process they use to verify identities is so lax , flawed, and easy to manipulate, it's almost non-existent. The point I am trying to make is this. Unscrupulous freelancers have learned how to outsmart and get around the system. Upwork is aware of this and is refusing to take steps to protect clients. 

I would venture to guess a majority of US clients that hire offshore freelancers have no idea the profile they're using to make a hiring decision on may be completely false. Upwork clients should not have to worry about freelancer identities, nor should they find it necessary to perform their own verification.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
8 of 25

I have never hired on Upwork although I have been a freelancer here for some years.  It's relatively easy to Google a freelancer's image.  It's also easy to Google part of their profile to see if it has been copied from someone else's.  If I were to ever become a client, this would certainly become part of my due diligence before hiring.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
9 of 25

@John E wrote:

I disagree. Upwork Global Inc. is headquartered in Mountain View, CA in the heart of Silicon Valley and I am confident they have sufficient resources and the technology to verify freelancer identities ( at least with reasonable accuracy). The current process they use to verify identities is so lax , flawed, and easy to manipulate, it's almost non-existent. The point I am trying to make is this. Unscrupulous freelancers have learned how to outsmart and get around the system. Upwork is aware of this and is refusing to take steps to protect clients. 

I would venture to guess a majority of US clients that hire offshore freelancers have no idea the profile they're using to make a hiring decision on may be completely false. Upwork clients should not have to worry about freelancer identities, nor should they find it necessary to perform their own verification.

You really have got the meaning of an offshore freelancer a bit muddled. However, it is true that many profiles are fake, as many clients' profiles are fake. However, it is entirely the client's responsibility to do a duedil on a potential hire.

Your rather sweeping statement that all "offshore" freelancers are money launderers and thieves, and accusing Upwork of condoning this, is bordering on the defamatory. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
10 of 25

@John E wrote:

I had posted this earlier, but my post disappeared.

Allow me to take some liberties with you post and see if it makes sense when the internet business is not equipped to be a law enforcement agency for every humans on he planet.

I disagree. Facebook. is headquartered in Melno Park, CA in the heart of Silicon Valley and I am confident they have sufficient resources and the technology to verify their user identities ( at least with reasonable accuracy). The current process they use to verify identities is so lax , flawed, and easy to manipulate, it's almost non-existent (yes we saw that during the last election with Cambridge Analytica and Putin cronies). The point I am trying to make is this. Unscrupulous Facebook Posters have learned how to outsmart and get around the system. Facebook is aware of this and is refusing to take steps to protect clients. 

I would venture to guess a majority of US electorate  have no idea the rumor spreading poster's posts they're using to make voting decision on may be completely false. Facebook visitor's should not have to worry about freelancer identities, nor should they find it necessary to perform their own verification.

In terms of resources Facebook revenues are about 575 time that of Upwork (41,000 million vs 70 million).  Reading the posts on the forum it seems that 'New' freelancers are more suceptible to scamming buyers.  The buyers who are looking for moon at rock bottom prices are more suceptible to scams by Freelancers.

The freelancers are crying for more scruitinized identities of buyers.  The Freelancer's go through a much involved process than buyers.  All buyers need is an e-mail address and whatever name that pleases them.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS