🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Freelance Pre-Hire Evaluation Process
Page options
2cddacf3
Community Member

Freelance Pre-Hire Evaluation Process

Hello there,

I am going to hire some long-term professionals via Upwork.

But before arranging an interview, I would like to send a MCQ pre-interview test for the candidates via HackerRank.

I know it is strictly forbidden to share channels before the contract.

But I need an email address for the test link to be sent to my candidates.

How can I handle that problem? Do you have any solutions for that?

Thanks in advance.

Goksu 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
2cddacf3
Community Member

Accoring to Upwork TOS & Upwork support team it is OK to share contact information for candidate evaluation purposes.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360049608113-Sharing-Information-on-Upwork

Section: Other Exceptions

There are two cases when users may share their personal contact information before a contract begins.

• If users must share or collect information for legal purposes prior to a contract starting that includes contact information, such as a non-disclosure agreement or proof of a business license
  • If users must provide their email address to gain access to a system for the purposes of scoping a project, such as a code repository or ad analytics account

In these cases, contact information is permitted to be shared, but all communication must still take place on Upwork. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
bobafett999
Community Member

Well you can do normal screening based on profiles and preliminary interviews.  Then hire few top candidates to do the test to compensate for their time.  You shouldn't expect them to spend their own time for free.  Expecting them do free test might violate Upwork TOS.

I belive it is an excellent idea - even if someone passes your initial screening they would be 'reluctant' to take the test if they are fake.

Yes, from a freelancer's perspective this is the best solution. I regularly see job adverts from an application security firm searching for cloud security engineers/testers/developers. They describe the hiring process like this:

1) Video interview, call to discuss the details

2) Short (60-90 mins) paid test job

3) Final deciding and hiring

Maybe it costs a couple of bucks for the company, but much more cost-effective than a) getting banned from Upwork for breaking the ToS, b) finding out that the freelancer skills are not matching. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

All you need to do is hire the final candiates using an hourly contract.

Then they can use the hourly contract to log time during the pre-interview test.

You can exchange emails or any other contact information with those candidates.

bobafett999
Community Member

I might add something if you or your organization lacks the skills to do initial screening, I would suggest you hire an interviewer.  @Preston H might be an excellent choice.  He is in the same space and has hired over 150 people.  You also will get honest bang for your buck.

Thanks, Prashant.

I am not actually available for hire as an interviewer. But I offer free advice in the Forum.

One of the best tips I can give is this:

Effective clients hire and pay freelancers as part of their screening process. These clients know thst they are not hiring all candidates for a long-term candidates. They are hiring candidates for what may be a very short period of time. An hour. 30 minutes. Etc. But by hiring and paying candidates, these clients maximize their ability to find the best available serious professionals who they can work with them for a long time.

2cddacf3
Community Member

Accoring to Upwork TOS & Upwork support team it is OK to share contact information for candidate evaluation purposes.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360049608113-Sharing-Information-on-Upwork

Section: Other Exceptions

There are two cases when users may share their personal contact information before a contract begins.

• If users must share or collect information for legal purposes prior to a contract starting that includes contact information, such as a non-disclosure agreement or proof of a business license
  • If users must provide their email address to gain access to a system for the purposes of scoping a project, such as a code repository or ad analytics account

In these cases, contact information is permitted to be shared, but all communication must still take place on Upwork. 

Yeah, but nowhere it says that you can collect those information for conducting FREE tests

Also, you will get you will pay for.  Free test means no highly qualified people

abeera85
Community Member

Is it possible that any client hire after taking any kind of test. 

I am new here dont know the process. 

Can a company hire new freelancers?  

I am also new here having no connection with clients or agencies. 

How can i grow here. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths