🐈
» Forums » Clients » Freelance Video Editing
Page options
ad358c77
Community Member

Freelance Video Editing

We may be looking for a freelance editor to help us edit some 5 minute videos. Can anyone give me a ballpark of how much editing a video of that length would cost? We will be handling all of the video shooting. We just need someone to add the professional effects: background music, impact text, scene cuts, etc...

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

It depends on who you hire.

You can probably find people who will do this sort of work for $5/hour. And people who will do it for $150/hour. Or more.

Meaning an hour of labor, not an hour of completed video footage.

If I had a project to edit 50 hours of raw footage into an hour long presentation, and I was under pressure to minimize cost, then I would hire six different editors. I would let them work for two hours each, giving them relative small assignments... such as cutting together one scene.

Then I would look at the work they all submitted. Which one provided me with the most value? Work that I can use, but at the lowest cost?

That is the person I would hire to do the complete project.

But for a SINGLE five minute video? I am not sure how much time I want to spend on price comparisons for a SINGLE five-minute video.

If cost is NOT a limiting factor, then i would probably hire only one freelancer, the most expensive, high-quality one that I can afford.

If cost IS a factor, then I might spend some more time looking at the video portfolios of less expensive freelancers, to see if I can find somebody whose quality is sufficient for my needs.

I may well hire only ONE person to do the work. But I would use an hourly contract and ask to see their results after two hours of work has been done. If I am impressed with the quality and can see that they are well on their way to finishing within a reasonable amount of time, then I would let them continue.

If I see that their work isn't up to the standards necessary for the project, I will end the contract and hire someone else.

Of course, depending on the nature of your project, the amount of time it takes to do the editing might not be as considerable as I am imagining.

You said that you want to hire somebody to edit MULTUPLE videos. If you want to minimize cost and maximize value for a project with a lot of work, then the only way to do that is to hire multiple freelancers and compare the results.

irfan_haider_mir
Community Member

Depends on content and style of cutting. It would be under 80$.
Latest Articles
Learning Paths