cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freelancer Activity In Work Diary

Neil S Member Since: Aug 4, 2017
1 of 4

I've just noticed my freelancer charged me for 4 hours yesterday but when I looked at the work diary it looked like there was hardly any activity. Both mouse and keyword activity was minimal.

Am I reading this correct? Or could there be another explanation. All screenshots are of a document which actually take 2mins to read, not 4 hours.

Just want to ensure I'm not jumping to conclusions.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 4

Neil, have you asked the freelancer for an explanation? You might also consider asking the freelancer for partial results of some kind.

3 of 4

Neil:

I have no idea what kind of project you have going on or what your agreement is with your freelancer. It's generally a good idea to ask for an explanation in situations like this.

Having said all that, you should understand that you ARE allowed to contact Upwork Customer Service within a specified time period (5 days after work week ends) after the week ends, and you can dispute work done by a client which has low activity levels.

I'm not saying you SHOULD do that. I don't know what went on. But if you decide to dispute those hours, Upwork would look at the work diary, see very low activity, and remove the hours from what you owe to the freelancer.

If you wait, though, it will be too late. Today is Friday. So you have 7 days within which you may lodge a complaint. Right now, the week has not ended. So if the freelancer realizes he made a mistake, then he can manually remove time from his work diary.

Although maybe after you talk to him, you'll learn that what he was doing was a vital part of your project, and you'll be appreciative. I have no idea one way or the other.

See:

Weekly Billing Cycle

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
4 of 4

Hi Neil, 

John and Preston gave sound advice and I would recommend following it. I am not privy to the details of your contract, but would suggest that you communicate with your freelancer and clarify the screenshots on his/her work diary. This way, she/he gets the opportunity to explain himself.

As Preston has shared, you have the opportunity to dispute any hours after the work week has ended, in this case, you have next Monday, 7-August, up to Friday, 11-August to dispute your freelancer's logged hours. Please check the link that Preston has shared on his post to learn more about the Weekly Billing Cycle. 

-Avery
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS