🐈
» Forums » Clients » Freelancer Asking for my Identification
Page options
99d67c4b
Community Member

Freelancer Asking for my Identification

Hi, new here.  I would like to hire a freelancer who claims to be able to get my hacked and disabled Facebook/Instagram accounts back.  He has all good reviews.  However he is asking for personal information and ID.  I assume he needs some information in order to get my account back, but how do I know that he is safe?  How do I know his reviews are real and not created by him?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
paywell
Community Member

Basically there is a step requiring an identifying document, but Facebook asks for one of many different documents, like utility bills, if I remember correctly. 

That means, that providing your ID may not be necessary.

You could also ask your Freelancer, whether he needs this to fulfill a document request from Facebook, and ask him whether you can send this document by yourself, as a separate attachment (or visit the page and upload the document by yourself).

Unless this requires him to uncover the steps he takes in order to do his "magic" - he should have no reason to deny your request.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Yep, I would have a hard time too trusting a hacker. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

A freelancer can't just create feedback and reviews in the Upwork system.

It would take a lot of effort and cost real money to do that. It is more likely thst you are seeing authentic reviews and feedback.

Upwork is not going to guarantee anything.

But if you think that this person is genuine, it makes sense that you would need to provide ID to him.

Alternatively, you may wish to hire non-hacker experts who can tell you how to recover your accounts, and hold your hand to walk you through the steps. Without actually having to give the freelancer your IDs.

Thank you so much. I appreciate the feedback and the advice!
paywell
Community Member

Basically there is a step requiring an identifying document, but Facebook asks for one of many different documents, like utility bills, if I remember correctly. 

That means, that providing your ID may not be necessary.

You could also ask your Freelancer, whether he needs this to fulfill a document request from Facebook, and ask him whether you can send this document by yourself, as a separate attachment (or visit the page and upload the document by yourself).

Unless this requires him to uncover the steps he takes in order to do his "magic" - he should have no reason to deny your request.

904ed96f
Community Member

i would be very dubious of this. we lost the Page owner function of our facebook page due to an employee that left our business. we tried several supposed freelancer / upwork "experts" and got absolutely nowhere. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths