🐈
» Forums » Clients » Freelancer Canceled the contract
Page options
Community Member

Freelancer Canceled the contract

Hello my freelancer canceled the contracet shortly after I hired him, masssege below:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Now I want to know two things, first where is the money which I asume is being refunded .Second how long will it take, if its being refunder and Can I stop the refund and keep it on my account to hire someone else ?! 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Tagzeeez,

I`m sorry to hear about this. I would like to confirm that the funds have already been refunded to your billing method and you will receive them in up to 5 business days.
Unfortunately, when a contract is closed the funds are automatically refunded to your account. If you don't receive your funds on your account after 5 business days, let me know here and our team will assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Tagzeeez,

I`m sorry to hear about this. I would like to confirm that the funds have already been refunded to your billing method and you will receive them in up to 5 business days.
Unfortunately, when a contract is closed the funds are automatically refunded to your account. If you don't receive your funds on your account after 5 business days, let me know here and our team will assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hello,

Something very similar happened to me. I hired a freelance, the fixed price was 200us so I made the payment and after that the freelancer canceled the contract. I can find another frelancer, I don't care, I just want to make sure I didn't lose my money, the payment status says pending, but the money on my bank account is gone, and I can't request a refund from the freelancer because the website and app wont let me, I dont know what to do. Please help me

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Mei,

Thanks for your question! I checked and it looks like a refund was already initiated on the 6th of June. You can expect the funds to reflect on your account within 5 business days. For more information, you can check the Reports > Transactions page. 

Let us know if you need help with anything else!

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
06a0f169
Community Member

I canceled a contract because the freelancer was not providing the solution i needed.why am i still charged an invoice payment due to the freelancer? how do i get a refund?

re: "I canceled a contract because the freelancer was not providing the solution i needed.why am i still charged an invoice payment due to the freelancer? how do i get a refund?"

Temitope:
It is not necessarily Upwork's intention that you receive a refund.

If you hired a freelancer using an hourly contract, for example, then you are paying for the freelancer's time. You are not paying for a specific deliverable.

Even if you hire a freelancer using a fixed-price contract, you can not unilaterally click a button and receive a refund. If you cancel a fixed-price contract, this sends a REQUEST to the freelancer, which ASKS them to grant you a refund. The freelancer might say no.

So that we can better advise you, if you have further questions, please answer these questions:
- Was this a fixed-price or hourly contract?
- How much money were you charged?

Hi Temitope,

I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out with this freelancer. I checked and it looks like the amount you were charged today is from hours the freelancer worked last week. I can also see you were able to request a refund from them. If the freelancer declines to give a refund or you don’t hear back at all, you may still be able to dispute the charges. Please note you must file any dispute by Friday after a billing week closes, you can learn more about this here.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths