🐈
» Forums » Clients » Freelancer Canceled the contract
Page options
bf97ea9a
Community Member

Freelancer Canceled the contract

Hi, I am new to this community. I hired a freelancer three weeks ago. After engaging in a whirlwind of activities for my project, he canceled the contract. However, he did not deliver, nor did he refund the full payment he received from me.

What do you suggest? Any thoughts about this issue?

Thank you 

Regards,

JA

10 REPLIES 10
prestonhunter
Community Member

A client is allowed to close a contract at ANY TIME.

A freelancer is allowed to close a contract at ANY TIME.

Question: Is it possible for a freelancer to close or cancel a contract in a way that is UNPROFESSIONAL or rude or annoying?

Answer: Yes.

Question: Does this violate any Upwork rules?

Answer: No.

Question: Can I report a freelancer for cancelling a contract unexpectedly?

Answer: No.

Question: How can I manage my projects if freelancers are allowed to do this?

Answer: The same way as how how you manage your projects for other eventualities, such as the freelancer dying. You have hired more than one freelancer, and there is some redundancy built into your personnel and training. If one freelancer leaves the project, you assign the remaining work to other members of your team. Or you hire additional freelancers as needed.

Geneviève Bujold quit as the LEAD ACTOR (the captain) on "Star Trek: Voyager". She quit after only being on the job for a few days. But there are still 7 seasons of that TV series. So they must have figured something out.

re: "he did not deliver, nor did he refund the full payment he received from me. What do you suggest?"

Well, we might be able to help you get some money back.

Obviously that's not the most important thing here. The important thing is the success of your project.

But depending on the specifics of your situation, there may be a way to get some money back.

Most everything you need to know about that is here:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062058-Get-an-Escrow-Refund

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062158-Dispute-an-Agency-or-Freelancer-s-Hours

If you would like additional advice specific to your situation, about how to get money back, please answer these questions:

1) Was this an hourly or fixed-price question?

2) How much money in total have you paid to this freelancer?

3) (if this is fixed-price) How much money is currently in escrow?

4) When was the last time that the freelancer did work or submitted work?

5) What percentage of the project is already done?

6) Have you already received all of the files for the work that has been completed?

AndreaG

Hi Jacqueline,

I checked and it does look like a refund was sent to your payment method, please allow 5 days for it to show on your statement. It also looks like there is another refund pending on your account, could you please confirm if the two refunds amount to the correct total? You can check this in Reports > Transactions.

~Andrea
Upwork
bf97ea9a
Community Member

Thank you, Andrea, for the reply. $80 was charged to my account. The freelancer issued a partial refund of $40. I asked him to send me the materials we both worked on to keep the additional $40. He requested an additional $50 to return my pictures to me. 

What do I do in this case?

Thank you

JA

re: "I asked him to send me the materials we both worked on to keep the additional $40. He requested an additional $50 to return my pictures to me."

You are saying that you sent him physical pictures, of which he now is in possession of the only copy?

is that correct?

Hi Preston, 

I shared a document with the freelancer, including content that I wrote and stock photos to use on my social media. All he had to do was to add the content to individual photos and post them. 

I hope this answers your question.

JA

Thanks for confirming, Jacqueline! That sounds about right since you're receiving two refunds of $40 each. I would suggest you continue to discuss this with the freelancer if you'd like to continue working with them, you can pay any additional funds via a bonus payment on the same contract.

~Andrea
Upwork
bf97ea9a
Community Member

At this point, I just want him to issue a full refund. He gave me the impression that he used my project to beta test his product. He asked me to perform the same task numerous times, and nothing was moving. 

I am already working with someone else. 

Thank you

JA

petra_r
Community Member

Jacqueline A wrote:

At this point, I just want him to issue a full refund.

An Upwork employee has confirmed that you have received two refunds of 40 each.

Surely you still have the document you sent to the freelancer? It would be in the project files if shared via Upwork, or the email you sent if shared via email etc.  Why do you need the freelancer to send it back?

bf97ea9a
Community Member

Thank you. I found my content link. I am learning how to use the service. I will hire someone else while making sure that we are both on the same page.

praveennkumar
Community Member

Always giving party payment, full payment gives after work done.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths