🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Freelancer Ended Contract Without Informi...
Page options
sotiro123
Community Member

Freelancer Ended Contract Without Informing Me. Now Completely Ignoring Me

I've never had this happen before. I hired a freelancer to do some work. Out of nowhere he closed the contract, citing the reason "Job not as described." How is it possible for a freelancer to be able to do this without at the very least discussing or informing me first?

I described the job just fine, clearly detailing what needed to be done. The issue looks to be that he is unable to do one aspect of the work.

I've been messaging him, and can clearly see that he is online when I have done. Yet he still refuses to respond. I ask for clarification so I know where I stand, but he has completely ignored me.

I've had my share of bad freelancers but I've never had one who has behaved like this and completely ignored me. I can understand if a freelancer is unable to do the work or if there are delays, but nothing annoys me more as a client as a completely unresponsive freelancer. It's incredibly rude and unprofessional.

I want to at the very least submit public feedback and share my experience. It seems only fair in a situation like this.

7 REPLIES 7
colettelewis
Community Member

@A S wrote:

I've never had this happen before. I hired a freelancer to do some work. Out of nowhere he closed the contract, citing the reason "Job not as described." How is it possible for a freelancer to be able to do this without at the very least discussing or informing me first?

I described the job just fine, clearly detailing what needed to be done. The issue looks to be that he is unable to do one aspect of the work.

I've been messaging him, and can clearly see that he is online when I have done. Yet he still refuses to respond. I ask for clarification so I know where I stand, but he has completely ignored me.

I've had my share of bad freelancers but I've never had one who has behaved like this and completely ignored me. I can understand if a freelancer is unable to do the work or if there are delays, but nothing annoys me more as a client as a completely unresponsive freelancer. It's incredibly rude and unprofessional.

I want to at the very least submit public feedback and share my experience. It seems only fair in a situation like this.

It is a pity the freelancer did not discuss this with you first, but as he has closed the contract, you will automatically be refunded and you will be able to leave feedback both public and private.

If you have "had your share of bad freelancers", perhaps you are not making very good choices, and  a little self-analysis would not go amiss. Are you perhaps taking a freelancer beyond their remit, or paying very low rates?  

@Nichola L wrote:

It is a pity the freelancer did not discuss this with you first, but as he has closed the contract, you will automatically be refunded and you will be able to leave feedback both public and private.

Since there was no money exchange, public feedback will not be seen!

We can all agree that the professional and courteous thing for the freelancer to do would have been to notify you about what was going on.

But I can well imagine that the freelancer was embarrassed once he saw he would not be able to do the work, or he ended up not having enough time in his schedule, or his chronic condition flared up and he doesn't have the strength to work on this...

There is nothing further you can do about this. Your private feedback on this contract will have an impact.

are: "...nothing annoys me more as a client as a completely unresponsive freelancer. It's incredibly rude and unprofessional."

These are words that all freelancers should keep in mind. 

There would be far fewer incidents of client frustration and exasperation if every freelancer understood this and acted accordingly.

@Preston H wrote:

are: "...nothing annoys me more as a client as a completely unresponsive freelancer. It's incredibly rude and unprofessional."

These are words that all freelancers should keep in mind. 

There would be far fewer incidents of client frustration and exasperation if every freelancer understood this and acted accordingly.

Preston, that cuts both ways.

There is nothing more annoying than an unresponsive client (and it is just as bad-mannered). I have recently had several unacknowledged replies to invitations, and still have some ongoing clients who, although they have paid me, have disappeared into the ether without closing the contract. 

So a little self-education both sides of the fence should be mandatory. 

@Elba A wrote:

@Nichola L wrote:

Elba, this is not so. If the contract was official, a client can leave feedback even if no money has been exchanged. 

ETA: I apologize Elba, you are right, but the client can still leave private feedback, which could have a worse impact on the freelancer's JSS than public. 

@Nichola L wrote:

@Elba A wrote:

@Nichola L wrote:

Elba, this is not so. If the contract was official, a client can leave feedback even if no money has been exchanged. 

Hi Nichola, that's not what I said, I said if no money was exchange public feedback will no be seen (on freelancer's profile). Sorry I did not add this last part to make myself clearer. If I've mistaken, please correct me!

ETA: Sorry posts cross 🙂 but you are right private feedback can be really, really bad.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths