cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freelancer Feedback Request, Freelancer allowed me to change the feedback?

Ace Contributor
David E Member Since: Feb 19, 2011
1 of 5

Hi.

I had a freelancer that I hired to do a job but instead of doing they job, they told me they needed a week off and would be back on the 20th out of the blue.   I really liked the guy so I agreed.  On the 22nd I send a message stating if they had any issues please let me know.  On the 24th, I send another message asking if they changed their mind about the project.  On the 25th I canceled the project after 2 weeks of no work.

I only canceled the project because I am getting way behind and needed another to start the work.

I gave the freelancer an honest review but now I have received a  message that the freelancer allowed me to change my feedback for his/her contract.

What does this mean, are they forcing me to change my feedback to 5 stars?

I don't see anywhere the freelancer gave me feedback yet.   How was the freelancer able to request a change in my feedback until they left feedback for me?  Are freelancers able to see my feedback before they leave feedback for me?

When I look at their profile it states that I have not given any feedback yet.  But I have.

I see the freelancer has refunded all the hours he changed me for.... (5 hrs) and he messaged me.

-----Message------

"It is sad that you made up your mind so quickly. I put in so much time for setting up environment for you and getting things started, but all you saw was delayed response and you ended the contract just like that. That's sad! : |

I'd say though that it is good for us because I can't work like this anyway.

Thanks for your time and interest!
I hope you find someone good to work with you next time.

Good luck!
"

-----Message------

Did I jump the gun on closing the project?

How long should I have waited?  

Should I have enabled Manual Time like the freelancer wanted in the first place?

Thanks.

Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
2 of 5

You waited long enough. The freelancer reached out asking for time off, you obliged and the freelancer broke the deal when not returning your messages.  You were within all your rights to close the project and find someone else. 

The reason your feedback is not showing up is because if the freelancer refunded the full amount of the contract, then the feedback won't show up on the public profile. However, your private feedback will still affect the profile. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Community Guru
Charles K Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
3 of 5

This is the same guy you were upset about charging 5 hours for setup work right?

That's all he did in 2 weeks?

I'd say you were about 10 days more patient than I would have been.

A client can change feedback if the freelancer enables it and the client wants to. Do you want to? I wouldn't.

Do the Upwork community a favor and leave your honest feedback stand. Someone like this deserves to have his scores marked down so he learns a lesson and other clients aren't as likely to be stuck with his unprofessional conduct.

In the meantime, I'm glad you at least got your money back!

Ace Contributor
David E Member Since: Feb 19, 2011
4 of 5

@Charles K wrote:

This is the same guy you were upset about charging 5 hours for setup work right?

That's all he did in 2 weeks?

I'd say you were about 10 days more patient than I would have been.

A client can change feedback if the freelancer enables it and the client wants to. Do you want to? I wouldn't.

Do the Upwork community a favor and leave your honest feedback stand. Someone like this deserves to have his scores marked down so he learns a lesson and other clients aren't as likely to be stuck with his unprofessional conduct.

In the meantime, I'm glad you at least got your money back!

Yep.   He spent more time on setup than the actual project.

I think the guy had no clue even though his profile had several projects that seemed to be identical to mine.

I have learned a ton from this experience.

I am trying some some of the suggestions mentioned.

Thanks 

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
5 of 5

You have EVERY right to cancel a contract, especially if you have a deadline and because of the freelancer lack of communications and work, you are falling behind. The manual time added is kind of sketchy too.

As for feedback.

Clients give two types of feedback regarding their experience with a freelancer:

• Public – Comments and star ratings that are shown on the freelancer’s profile.
  • Private – Used by Upwork to assess the freelancer’s Job Success. This is an opportunity to provide information to Upwork that you may feel uncomfortable sharing publicly

The feedback period is 14 days from the end of a contract. The system is double-blind, which means that feedback won’t be visible until both parties provide it for each other. If only one party leaves feedback, it will be posted after the 14-day period has expired.

If the 14-day feedback period expires before you are able to add comments, you can contact the freelancer and ask them to allow you to add feedback late. You’ll be notified once the option to leave feedback is available.

No one can force you to change the feedback you left. If the freelancer returns all the money they've been paid, public feedback will be deleted and won't show on their profile, but private will still be there and that is NOT visable to freelancer (or anyone for that matter.) This freelancer is hoping that by returning the funds in escrow you will change any feedback that was given. But you don't have that option anymore with Public feedback, and you can't change private feedback.

How long should you have waited.. IMO you were considerate enough to allow him those days off. I would have waited just one day after this freelancer was supposed to come back. In fact, if you had a deadline, youi should have looked for another freelancer who is available.

As for allowing manual time. I can't say. I don't know anything about your project, what is involved and long it would take. I can say, that freelancers offer services. They tell you how much they charge, what they would do, and how long it would take. This is your job, and if you don't like any of those services, charges, or timelenghts, you do not have to hire them or work with them.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS