Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freelancer I hired hacked website - Upwork does nothing

Community Guru
Lanie M Member Since: Jun 24, 2015
11 of 23

Hi Marlene,

I'm sorry to hear about the negative experience you had with the freelancer you hired in Upwork. We'll follow up with the team about your case and if you have any additional evidence of the freelancer threatening or attacking you, please share it in the ticket.

Lanie M
Untitled
This widget could not be displayed.
12 of 23
This widget could not be displayed.

@Marlene S wrote:

Hello

I have hired a freelancer over upwork to work on my wordpress website.

He was not to happy after the job and said he wasted to much time on it and this was a lost project for him. I gave him a big bonus of 50 USD.

He than claimed my website was under attack..claiming a new administrator has hacked my website. He removed the new admin for 200 USD.

After that he wanted to "show me something" .. claiming the website is still under attack. He wanted 650 USD to protect my site. 

I cant believe it took me so long to figure out that this was fishy. I installed a security plugin and found out the "error.txt" was uploaded when he wanted to "show me" something and I was no longer able to login but found a matrix like screen and the words "you hav been hacked".

A fried of mine overwrote everything and changed all password because he had excess to everything.

Upwork did not believe me because he has used multiple IPs to break into my website.

I am constantly getting emails that someone tried to login and failed. (Probably trying in a password guessing brute-attack)

Upwork does not care about this and has not answered any of my questions!!!!!!!!!

What can I do?

He got angry and stalked me on all social media accounts and threatened me (I have sent proof to Upwork but they do not care)

I want this idiot to stop bothering me or harming my website. My website visitors have dropped since interfering.

What can I do?

Would you considereing taking this to the police?

Thank you!

If a freelancer hacked your account and besides that is stalking you do not hesitate to report this person to the legal authorities. Upwork should not be a playground for scammers who could just go away after having done something wrong or maybe even continuing on the platform and harming more freelancers.

Marlene S Member Since: Apr 2, 2017
13 of 23

The problem is that I have hired him for a different job. He was disappointed that it took him too long and wanted to get revenge.

So he had access to everything and blocked me out of my website claiming it got hacked.

After seeing that the error file was something he uploaded he changed all passwords. He is now trying to errace all his traits I guess that is why he is continuously trying to loginto my wordpress. 

I have sent all proof to Upwork but they do not really care because he blocked his IP address. 

Since then I have no one hack my site but him trying to logon. He also emailed me on facebook that the depends on Upwork and I would "kick into his belly" if I would report him to Upwork. I have sent Upwork screenshots of the conversation but have not heard anything back.

His facebook profile shows that he has a few cars and numerous companies. The harsh reality is that I am a struggling freelancer who needed some help on my website and have been damaged now so much.

Will not use Upwork ever again.

Guillaume P Member Since: Apr 10, 2017
14 of 23

Hi Marlene, 

Doing my third project on Upwork and also go the feeling that there is little protection for a client especially if you pay by the hour.

Yesterday, I paused a contract as the Freelancer (developer) is postponing and postponing again and don't want to be charged having anything in hand. The dev was able to charge me a fix amount despite Upwork mentioned that ''Pausing contract takes effect immediately''. Nowhere I can do a dispute or contact Upwork (livechat, email) so I just unlinked my Paypal account to Upwork and will ask PayPal to refund me if I can't solve the issue with the dev.

Smart freelancers will cheat you easily on this platform with no service and they charge the Freelancer high commissions too. I guess there are good guys too, don't get me wrong, it's the platform which is not well done and allow ''too'' easily this kind of practice.

Yesterday I caught another fake profile. What I recommend you is to do a reverse google image of the avatar, you will be surprised how many accounts are fake. Honestly Upwork....after so many many years you can't even do a bit of clean up!

I am moving away from Upwork, enough of this.

G

Angelia B Member Since: Apr 10, 2017
15 of 23

I too experienced working with a scammer on this site. Upwork really does nothing, then they make it so that you can't write about your negative experience with a freelancer after they have screwed you out of your money. If you ask me, that alone makes Upwork complicit in the actions of the frauds they host on their site.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
16 of 23

Guillaume wrote, "Smart freelancers will cheat you easily on this platform with no service and they charge the Freelancer high commissions too. I guess there are good guys too, don't get me wrong, it's the platform which is not well done and allow ''too'' easily this kind of practice."

You've had negative experiences here I take it, and I'm sorry to hear it, but you make it sound like it's dumb to be an honest freelancer, and I disagree, any more than it's smart for clients to cheat freelancers, and that's not uncommon here either. Believe me, the platform does not discriminate against clients or freelancers who take the time to fully understand how the platform works before committing a lot of money (as a client) or time (as a freelancer), but both freelancer and client must be aware that they need to excercise due diligence when working with total strangers. If Upwork somehow gives the impression that everyone using the platform is an upstanding citizen, then it shares some responsibility for frauds taking place.

17 of 23

Hi Angelia,

I'm sorry about the outcome of your contract you had a year ago. I see our team followed up on the ticket you submitted, assisted with initiating a dispute, which was unfortunately closed due to non-response. Please refer to the information our team shared on your support ticket, especially regarding our Payment Protection Program and processing payments on Fixed-Price contracts.

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
18 of 23

Hi Guillaume, 

I'm sorry that this contract with this freelancer didn't work out as expected. I checked this contract and can see that on top of the the hourly rate, you also set a weekly payment to your freelancer. This weekly rate is charged on top of hours logged in the work diary, and billed to you. If you wish to continue working with this freelancer, you need to cancel the contract, and create a new contract, making sure not to set any weekly payments by leaving this section blank. 

ab6d2f4135634291a2bafec93ad2482b.png

You should be able to dispute the hours logged by your freelancer within the dispute period. You are still able to dispute the work logged last Monday to Sunday (April 3-9), this week up to Friday (April 10-14). 

If you see fake profiles on the platform, you may report them by flagging it as inapproriate, and our Marketplace Quality Team will review the reported profile. 

-Avery
Untitled
Guillaume P Member Since: Apr 10, 2017
19 of 23

Thanks Avery, when there is hour bills I can see a dispute, in that case, there is nothing. I can't see anywhere that I can open a  dispute and no idea where these $160 are coming from. I have never input $160 anywhere, it doesn't correspond to any multiple of $25/h and I disallowed the dev to enter his time that we can agree together to the payment. Who set it up and where is the calculation come from. G

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
20 of 23

Hi Guillaume,

I'll ask someone from our team to reach out to you directly and assist you with filing a dispute and addressing the issue with your billing method.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS