cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Freelancer MIA

Angie B Member Since: Oct 19, 2015
1 of 17

Well, I feel like I've been totally scammed. At least that is my worry.

I hired an app developer for an incredibly lengthy and lucrative app project. He completed phase 1, the interface design of the app, without any issues.

Now that we are well into phase 2, the logic of the app, he has continued to comment that he's been working out "Some bugs" and I have seen no progress. I have been trying to contact him now for 2 weeks and have heard nothing from him. The contract has been paused.

I also have not code to show at this point. He was supposed to be uploading to Github.

I'm obviously devastated. It was a huge risk and financial sacrifice for me to attempt an app like this....

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 17

Angie,

He may not be capable of doing the next phase of the project.

He may not have time to do the next phase of the project?

How many developers did you hire to test their proficiency?

Early on in a project like this you should really be hiring multiple people to do small tasks, and have the project manager review the code to make sure you pick the right person.

It sounds to me like you:

a) hired only one person

and

b) hired the wrong person

Also, it sounds to me like you hired the same person to do front-end visual design and back-end programming.

This is almost always a mistake. These are different skill sets. If you hire a single person as both a visual designer and a back-end programmer, then you are hiring somebody whose skill ranges from mediocre to incompetent in at least one of those skills.

3 of 17

Preston,

Good questions / points. My understanding, from the work presented in his portfolio, was that this app would be a walk in the park given the other apps that he had experience building.

Highlighted
Community Guru
4 of 17

re: "Good questions / points. My understanding, from the work presented in his portfolio, was that this app would be a walk in the park given the other apps that he had experience building."

He may be really good.

And two weeks delay might be nothing compared to the quality of work he can provide.

Or he might be a total scammer who just copied and pasted pictures of apps and stuck them into his portfolio.

Until your project manger reviews his source code, you may have no way of knowing.

5 of 17

I should also add.... I am a designer so the interface of the app was built out by me. He just implemented it via Photoshop docs I provided, etc.

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
6 of 17

Hi Angie,

If you haven't already, open a support ticket and Customer Support can try to track down the freelancer to see what is going on.

-Lena

Untitled
Community Guru
7 of 17

re: "I am a designer so the interface of the app was built out by me. He just implemented it via Photoshop docs I provided, etc."

Then you were NOT asking a programmer to do the visual design.

Very smart.

Community Guru
8 of 17

For the record, you can hire programmers to do very small tasks, and pay them for as little as an hour or two hour's worth of work, and from that get enough of a sense of their abilities to make a judgement about who to continue working with and who to let go.

Your project manager can help you choose a distinctive task small enough to use a test project, and can evaluate the work that the various programmers submitted.

Because you paid all of the programmers for their time, you will own all of the work they submitted. But in practice, you'll only continue using the submitted work from one of them.

An alternative approach is to have multiple different programmers work on multiple different sub-tasks, and you may get usable work from all of them. So in theory this approach lets you avoid paying for work that you simply throw away. But it is harder to set up the separate tasks and harder to compare their work directly if you do this.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 17

Preston, from what I understand (which is purely gained from talking to many app dev clients) it is very difficult to judge the quality of the code until you are quite a long way into an app development.

At least that is what I was told over and over when asking why a problem was not caught earlier.

Whilst I agree in general that giving small test jobs is generally the way forward, apparently (and again I stress I would not recognize good code if it jumped up and bit me) it's not as easy as all that in app development.

10 of 17

Yes. And I would also say this. I know many good developers who like to begin a project like this and see it to completion. I know plenty of developers who don't like jumping in mid-way, etc,  and fiddling with other's code.

I'm sure some projects can function like this, but we really felt like ours could not.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS