🐈
» Forums » Clients » Freelancer Opening a Dispute When I tried to ...
Page options
christa1024
Community Member

Freelancer Opening a Dispute When I tried to Cancel

Hi There!

I am definitely not new to Upwork, and I have hired a lot from this site, though this is the first time anything like this has happened to me. 

I hired a freelancer for a 500-word article that I was paying $5.00 for. This was a fixed-price. The freelancer claimed on their profile that they were a native English speaker based in Canada. I sent directions for the 500-word article. He sent back one of the most poorly written articles I have ever seen, which was over 900-words filled with grammar issues, broken English, etc. 

I sent it back for edits, and I told him that it was very poorly written and the language was very strange (i.e. obvioulsy broken English). He said he would do the edits, but then he sent back an article that was not fixed with everything I asked for...which was to follow the directions, which he didn't, fix up his grammar, which he didn't, and to make it sound better...it didn't. So, I sent him this -- The writing isn't good enough for this project. On top of not having great grammar, I was also looking to see if you could follow directions. I asked for a 500 word article in Calibri 12 font with no future tense, like the word "will." This was over 900 words, you used Calibri 11, and there are two instances of "will." (In quotes, which still isn't good for this client.)

So, I think at this point it's best to simply cancel the contract.

He did not respond....instead, 10 hours later I get a totally different article, and a message from the freelancer that says this ---**edited for Community Guidelines**

I cancelled the contract at this point, as the new article was just as terrible as the other two. Soon after, I got a notification that the freelancer opened a dispute. 

He is obviously not a native English speaker, he has misrepresented himself on his profile, he gave me an article that looks like a middle school student wrote who has English as a second language, and he wants me to pay for this?? 

As a client, am I seriously expected to pay for an article that is terribly written? I would even attach it, here, but I don't want to shame the guy...I just don't want to pay for a rubbish article that I will never, ever use because it's so badly written.

38 REPLIES 38
robin_hyman
Community Member

Christa,

Let me start of by saying I'm sorry you went through this experience.  You were obviously lied to by a non-native English writer.  Prior to hiring this freelancer did you check his/her profile to see they were in fact from Canada?  If you are set on hiring a native English writer, did you consider having a short conversation to confirm?  

Technically, the freelancer did the work (albeit not a very good job).  AND he/she/they even did a revision (again not to your liking).  We're not talking for thousands of dollars either.  For $5, it might be enough to cover their daily expenses.  I would pay it and walk away learning a valuable lesson.  

Unfortunately this is a case of "you get what you pay for".  At $.01 a word most native English writers would pass by your post.  Consider increasing your pay or do a quick skype call to confirm the next freelancer is legit.  

Good luck to you!

Thanks for the feedback. The freelancer cancelled the dispute.
pudingstudio
Community Member

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Colleague?
Multiple users working from the same account..?

Yes. So it seems.

Christa T wrote:
Yes. So it seems.

Should be flagged, than.
It's not allowed. Freelancers are supposed to be one person, exactly the one as advertised.

So, in total, sounds like two infractions from the account you were working with (they lying about their English level would be other one).

renata101
Community Member

Christa T wrote:

Hi There!

I am definitely not new to Upwork, and I have hired a lot from this site, though this is the first time anything like this has happened to me. 

I hired a freelancer for a 500-word article that I was paying $5.00 for. This was a fixed-price. The freelancer claimed on their profile that they were a native English speaker based in Canada. I sent directions for the 500-word article. He sent back one of the most poorly written articles I have ever seen, which was over 900-words filled with grammar issues, broken English, etc. 

Christa, 

All in all, you seem to have lost five dollars. Possibly, if you were subcontracting this work from another source (which would tend to make people on this platform even less sympathetic to your complaint than they already are), you blew a deadline with your client. Why are you expecting tea and sympathy on a public forum full of professional freelancers for a $5 loss and a bit of wasted time?

That should be par for the course for the type of business model you're operating on. 

versailles
Community Member

Christa T wrote:

I hired a freelancer for a 500-word article that I was paying $5.00 for. (...) He sent back one of the most poorly written articles I have ever seen

Lol 😀

Low-cost farming is hard.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

The project is seriously the easiest job ever Should I pay $50 for that? Of course not. I have built an amazing and very successful company on this business model. Thanks for your feedback. 

You offered a whole $5 for this job, while your own hourly rate is $28. By spending more than about 10 minutes worrying over this, you've spent way more in opportunity costs than you hope to not pay this one freelancer.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but if it was the "easiest job ever," why did you try to find someone else to do it? Aren't you a writer? Why farm it out to someone who may not be as qualified as you are?

It would have cost you far less to just pay for the project, leave an appropriate review, and never think about it again. That time could have been used finding another freelancer to meet your exacting standards in exchange for a mini mocha frappuccino at Starbucks ($5 - UW fees = $4, - 6% sales tax = $3.77, leaving $0.02 left)

Spending so much time and energy over this seems like tilting at windmills.

Thank you for your unsolicited opinion.

Christa T wrote:
Thank you for your unsolicited opinion.

Pretty sure when you post on a forum it becomes solicited. 🙂 

alekseevpavel78
Community Member

The result is fully related to the price which you paid. Did you expect more for $5.00? 🙂

Clients may close a contract AT ANY TIME.

This is as it should be.

With an hourly contact, clients can easily close a contact at any time. Even if the freelancer has logged no time yet.

With a fixed-price contract, clients can close a contact AT ANY TIME, and the client does not need the freelancer's permission. The correct way to do this to close the contact while releasing any remaining escrow funds.

Clients should NOT be afraid to use their ability to close contracts, and they should not feel guilty about doing so.

Clients should be polite and professional, but they should put their projects first, and not try to cater to freelancers.

There is nothing wrong with paying less money for work to be done. But built into the business model when one does this is the understanding that not all of the work will be usable.

Compare this to buying a crate of old books at an estate sale. Some of those books can be resold on eBay for hundreds of dollars. But some of those books will simply be thrown into a recycling bin or donated to a library. I don't get a refund for the books I can't use.

If I hire freelancers using fixed-price contracts, I need to pay them for their work, even if I can't use it.

I expected English....

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Christa, 

I have looked into this, and have shared the concern that the freelancer may have outsourced the work on the fixed-price contract without your knowledge. The team will investigate it further, and will take the necessary actions that they deem appropriate. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Thanks so much, Avery!

$5 for 500 words?? I'm not a writer, but that sounds like a ridiculous price, especially looking at your hourly rate!

The only thing that suprises me about this situation is that you would complain on a public forum over a $5 farmed out job!!!!

The freelancer should not be sub-contracting out the work though, thats just seems wrong and they clearly deserve what they get.....🤔

Avery O wrote:

Hi Christa, 

I have looked into this, and have shared the concern that the freelancer may have outsourced the work on the fixed-price contract without your knowledge. The team will investigate it further, and will take the necessary actions that they deem appropriate. 

It looks like there was something like "the outsourced work of the outsourced work" - the topic's starter (writer, rate $28), hired some else  (kind of writer, rate $5) who hired some else... (rate $1 ? 🙂 ) ... - this case should be very interesting for the investigation team. 

TS ->  The project is seriously the easiest job ever Should I pay $50 for that? Of course not. I have built an amazing and very successful company on this business model. 

🙂

georgiesmith
Community Member

You spent $5 for 500 words. What the hell did you expect? 

This sort of thing is why I will soon be leaving Upwork.  

Ridiculous. 

I also hire at $5/500 words. (I don't sell them on for much more).

At that rate, I expect many applicants to be sub-par. When operating at that level, finding gems among all the **** is a big part of the job. I give them a single (paid) article to begin with and if they are not up to standard, I pay and move on. 

Jamie F wrote:

I also hire at $5/500 words. (I don't sell them on for much more).

At that rate, I expect many applicants to be sub-par. When operating at that level, finding gems among all the **** is a big part of the job. I give them a single (paid) article to begin with and if they are not up to standard, I pay and move on. 

That's very professional of you.

Whenever you think you've seen it all, someone comes along and proves that deep down at the very bottom of the murky depths of the freelancing pond, there are still areas that are even lower than you ever imagined possible.

She expected Calibri 12 font Georgie Smiley LOL

reinierb
Community Member

Neil P wrote:

Neil P wrote:

And she got Calibri 11 point instead? That's outrageous! 

Reinier B wrote:

Neil P wrote:

Neil P wrote:

These comments are just not necessary and do not help the OP.  If we want people to feel comfortable coming to these forums with questions, let's be a little more understanding.  Yes it's ridiculous and outrageous, but no need to be condescending.  

Robin H wrote:

Reinier B wrote:

Neil P wrote:

Neil P wrote:

These comments are just not necessary and do not help the OP.  If we want people to feel comfortable coming to these forums with questions, let's be a little more understanding.  Yes it's ridiculous and outrageous, but no need to be condescending.  

True.
Yet, we all enjoy these silly laughs.

Thanks to your post, we got both (hopefully, OP felt respected upon reading your reply).

Antun M wrote:

True.
Yet, we all enjoy these silly laughs.

Thanks to your post, we got both (hopefully, OP felt respected upon reading your reply).

3f8dyw

11 kudos for you, pink lady!!

Thank you for that!

Robin H wrote:

Reinier B wrote:

Neil P wrote:

Neil P wrote:

Why would anyone want people to feel comfortable coming to the forum with these questions? It's $5. For 500 words. Don't pay people this, don't take jobs like this, and if you do, don't come complaining about it in the forum expecting sympahty. 

Eve L wrote:

Robin H wrote:

Reinier B wrote:

Neil P wrote:

Neil P wrote:

Why would anyone want people to feel comfortable coming to the forum with these questions? It's $5. For 500 words. Don't pay people this, don't take jobs like this, and if you do, don't come complaining about it in the forum expecting sympahty. 

+1 to infinity kudos.

lysis10
Community Member

Reinier B wrote:

Neil P wrote:

Neil P wrote:

If we as a society can't expect the right font size, there is no hope.

atreglia
Community Member

If I didn't read this myself, I don't think I'd have believed it.

ljms
Community Member

Have you ever considered writing satire for a living? 

alphazomgy
Community Member

Looks like Upwork loses money yet again on a cheap client. 

Cheap client, yes.

But Upwork allows this nonsense while we the freelancers subsidize it.

genericuser12345
Community Member

Next time try a genuine **Edited for Community Guidelines** freelance writer, like myself!

Zak Y wrote:

Next time try a genuine **Edited for Community Guidelines** freelance writer, like myself!

brah, every writer of value on here would be happy to let you have this one.

After a long day with deadlines to meet....this....THIS...has just made my day! And no, nothing was written for $5. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths