🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Freelancer Plagiarism and Cancelling Cont...
Page options
rsanc2014
Community Member

Freelancer Plagiarism and Cancelling Contract

Hello

I recently hired a ghostwriter to help with an ebook. I have a signed NDA which I know is not the concern of UpWork, but what I do have a problem with is her openly threatening for plagiarised sections I found lifted entirely from other sources. My question is what is the best way to go about this. I understand the NDA is not UpWorks concern, but I don't believe I should have to pay for plagiarized content. Attached are the screenshots of the site she copied and the text she sent me. Will canceling affect my score?

Thank you,

Richard

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

3 REPLIES 3
AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Richard,

I'm sorry to hear about the experience you had. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

Richard, I strongly advise you to manage your freelancers and contracts using the extensive tools and powers that are available to you. Put yourself and your project first.

Do not involve Upwork directly by asking them to do something. But it IS smart to come to the Community Forum to seek advice.

Tools that you have at your disposal include the ability to close a contract at any time, the ability to request a refund, the ability to leave feedback, the ability to flag a freelancer profile and report it for various reasons. You can do all of these things without needing to ask permission or wait on Upwork Customer Support. I believe that Upwork always desires to be helpful, but I am not yet convinced that you actually need a formal support ticket. Maybe that ship has already sailed and they are already helping you with a support ticket. But for future reference, you can probably save time and effort by using the available tools.

For context, and so that we can best advise you, how much money have you paid to this freelancer?

Is this an hourly or fixed-piece contract?

It was a one-time payment of $90.00. I haven't approved the submission
because of the plagiarism so there hasn't been a payment yet.
Latest Articles
Learning Paths