cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freelancer Posted Libelous and Defamatory Comments About Me on Google Reviews

680ebe33
Nathan D Member Since: Jan 13, 2016
1 of 18

I have an extensive 5-star history on Upwork and hired a freelancer. The freelancer wasn't completing work as requested. It was an hourly job that I had to keep paying him to redo things. So, I disputed his hours. He got upset and didn't want his ratings to go down. So, he offered to fix things for free and not charge me additional hours to redo work.

He eventually cancelled the contract and left me a 5-star review. Exactly 14 days later (this part is important), he created a ficticious google account and left a 1-star review containing libelous and defamatory comments about myself and my company. In the review, he even said he worked with me on Upwork. We also have an extensive 5-star review history on google. The 14-day period is important because that's exactly the last day a client can leave feedback for a freelancer. Beyond that, I don't have the ability to leave feedback about the freelancer unless I ask him to allow that, which he'll never do.

Upwork has washed their hands of the situation, saying the review was posted outside their platform and there's nothing they can do about it. "Our hands are tied", I've been told by Upwork support. While I understand Upwork can't control what is done outside their platform, I do think they have the ability to reach out to this particular freelancer and admonish him about this behavior. There should be some sort of code of conduct Upwork holds for their freelancers. Having freelancers like this in your system is toxic to the overall platform. Why would I want to hire freelancers on Upwork who will later bash me and my company on various review sites? Not worth it!

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 18

I understand that you are upset. What the freelancer in question did is unacceptable.

But two points to consider:

1) Not everything said about everybody on the Internet is true.

2) Do you want Upwork to start policing content on OTHER websites or taking punitive measures based on content on other websites? Including "Google Reviews" (which I have never heard of). Including your websites? Including mine?

680ebe33
3 of 18

Hi Preston-Thanks for your reply! While Upwork can't police the internet, they certainly can hold their freelancers to a certain standard. Having freelancers like this in the system are toxic. The least they could do is reach out to the freelancer and let them know this type of behavior is unacceptable to their community standards.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
4 of 18

Maybe it would indeed be good if they did something. Maybe they still will do something.

In all honesty, I doubt they have a policy about this. 

I have participated in the Forum for a long time, read many thousands of threads and posts. 

I have never heard of a situation like this. This is new to me and may be new to Upwork.

I do not believe that this is a widespread problem.

Regardless, it is clear that the place to discuss it is NOT with Customer Support, because this is NOT an option or button on their user interface screens. If the topic is to be discussed at all, the Forum is the place to discuss it.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
5 of 18

I'm sure it happens a lot. Maybe just more subtle. **Edited for Community Guidelines**

ckortjohn
Ace Contributor
Chris K Member Since: Feb 13, 2015
6 of 18

that is against googles TOS.  any one doing this should reconsider or VPN

680ebe33
7 of 18

That is correct. It violates two of their policies. I've flagged the comment for review but that was over a week ago with no action. That's why I'm also trying to go through Upwork to see what additional support they can provide-as this is one of Upwork's listed freelancers who did this.

lysis10
Community Guru
8 of 18

@Chris K wrote:

that is against googles TOS.  any one doing this should reconsider or VPN

lol yeah but Google won't give up anyone's IP address. Ask search engineers how much poop they have to go through to get info to do research for search functionality. You can't just ask Google for that type of info. They don't give it to anyone, not even internal people unless they have documented reasons for it.

lysis10
Community Guru
9 of 18

How do you know it was the freelancer?

You don't pay people, they gonna get pissed. Actions, reactions and all that jazz. You're working with individuals not some retail store. If the freelancer isn't up to par, pay them and let them go. Unless he was just doing nothing and running the clock (AKA sticky laptop keys)...

prestonhunter
Community Guru
10 of 18

re: "I'm sure it happens a lot."

You're talking about a general practice.

I have not seen any complaints or reports in the Forum about this specific type of situation, involving Upwork freelancers.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS