cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freelancer Posted Libelous and Defamatory Comments About Me on Google Reviews

680ebe33
Nathan D Member Since: Jan 13, 2016
11 of 18

All the more important to weed out the bad ones who result to these type of tactics to defame Upwork clients. It would be in Upwork's best interest to address these tpyes of problems immediately so they don't persist and undermine the whole system.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
12 of 18

@Preston H wrote:

re: "I'm sure it happens a lot."

You're talking about a general practice.

I have not seen any complaints or reports in the Forum about this specific type of situation, involving Upwork freelancers.

Well, my point of what can happen got edited, but what happened to the OP is much more in your face. There are much more subtle ways to do neg things where it could take months for someone to even realize it's happening.

680ebe33
13 of 18

Several ways:

Grammar and punctuation used in Google review correspond with that used in Upwork messaging

When I asked freelancer to remove the fake review he posted, he immediately said the Google review wasn't his. I never referenced a Google review when speaking with him.

Google review was posted exactly on the 14 day threshold-the last day that Upwork clients can leave a review about their freelancer

For the record, I was more than happy to pay for work that's done correctly and I communicated that with him. I'm not going to pay for work that was done incorrectly and then pay him again to redo that incorrect work. I think that's fair to all parties involved and reflects Upwork's best practices.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
14 of 18

Hi Nathan,

I understand your frustration. However, as the support agent has already explained, we have no control over feedback left outside of Upwork. Feedback left on Upwork site is reviewed, removed or edited in rare cases when it violates Upwork ToS.

It looks like in this case there isn't enough evidence that the freelancer violated Upwork ToS for the team to take any actions against them. I suggest you communicate with Google and have them check if the freelancer's feedback violates their policies.

~ Valeria
Upwork
680ebe33
15 of 18

Hi Valeria-

Thanks for your reply but you could certainly reach out to the freelancer and let them know this type of behavior is against Upwork community standards...especially when they specifically mentioned your company name in the google review.

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
16 of 18

Upwork can't take action on something that happened outside their site that has no *substantive* proof that they can access to determine any kind of policy violation (which I don't think even happened, because nothing happened *on Upwork*). You might be certain that the person was the freelancer (and sure, it sounds like it probably was), but there's no definitive proof.

If you have a problem with a false Google review, you have to deal with Google for it. Upwork can't help you.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
17 of 18

Nathan, let it go. Whatever the wrongs or rights, you will not come out on top. If you ignore it, the freelancer's beef will be buried under a zillion others and will be internet forgotten.

If the freelancer is in the same country as you - you could sue, but proving libel and defamation is even more difficult than proving murder - and very expensive.  And frankly, you really have to be very important for this to matter.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
18 of 18

Having bad things said about you on the Internet is a mark of success.

The more bad things there are about you on the Internet... probably the more successful you are as a person.

Just think about your favorite singer... Your favorite actor... Your favorite politician... Your favorite store...

How many bad thing are posted on the Internet about them? Probably a lot. I doubt they are worring about every comment from every crazy anonymous basement-dwelling miscreant.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS