🐈
» Forums » Clients » Freelancer Refusing to Respond to Messages or...
Page options
ba24276c
Community Member

Freelancer Refusing to Respond to Messages or Deliver Contract Agreements after being paid retainer

I hired a freelancer for an Influencer Marketing Campaign. We mailed products to the freelancer and paid a retainer, and this was to be the first payment of their influencer partnership. The freelancer was extremely responsive up until the point the package was mailed. After that, they became extremely difficult to reach. After checking in two weeks ago agreeing that the photos and videos would be delivered by the end of the week, she never responded again. I have sent many professional, clear, and concise messages requesting more information from the freelancer. No response. Last week the contract was ended and a refund requested. Still, there has been zero response from the freelancer. Sent her a simple hello on Instagram. No response. Upwork has not been responsive at all in the support tickets I've submitted, so I'm not sure what to do. This is a small family company and we do not have the means to lose money to scammers posing on this platform. I feel quite let down through the entire process, I am not sure what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Any advice would be greatly appreciated."

This isn't complicated.

If you don't love the work that this freelancer is doing for you, then end the contract.

And assign the remaining work to the other members of your team.

I have hired over 160 freelancers on Upwork.

I can assure you that I have all of the power I need at my fingertips. I never need to contact Upwork Customer Support for help to manage my projects, contracts and freelancers.

YOU ALSO HAVE THIS POWER. You simply need to embrace it.

Proactively plan to never ask Upwork for help in these matters. Embrace the power that you have, as I have done, and use that power to benefit yourself.

re: "Last week the contract was ended and a refund requested."

Refund thinking hurts clients.

If you want to succeed as an Upwork client, I strongly advise you to proactively decide to never ask freelancers for money. Plan to never ask for a refund. This will help you save time and money. Asking for a refund is a gamble, and planning to use such undermines your ability to achieve your project goals.

Instead, do this: Stop paying money to underperforming freelancers. If you don't love a freelancer's work, then stop sending them money. It is much safer to stop paying money to a freelancer when they aren't providing you with what you need, than to send them money and later ask for that money back.

759e32fa

Hi Celine,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I checked your account and have found no refund request. 

If the payment was released from escrow within the last 30 days you can request a refund from talent through Upwork and file a dispute if they refuse. You can still request a refund of released funds for up to 180 days after payment is released, but you will only be able to file a dispute for the first 30 days. After that, it is up to the freelancer or agency whether to give you a refund. Go here to learn more about this process.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hello Annie, thank you for your support. There is no response from the Freelancer she is claiming Upwork is not allowing her to process the refund. This person is a scammer. If you can please check my account again, you will see we requested a Refund from **Edited for Community Guidelines**

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Celine:
According to the screenshot, you paid $125 to this freelancer.

You clearly are not satisfied with the work that the freelancer did for you.

You ARE NOT OBLIGATED to do anything at all.

You are under no obligation to continue working with this freelancer, communicating with this freelancer, pursuing this freelancing, etc.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths