cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freelancer Ripped off my Other Designer's Work and Then Overcharged for the Project

Highlighted
Meredith B Member Since: Oct 12, 2017
1 of 28

I am so furious about this situation that I felt compelled to reach out to all of you. Sitting here stewing about it isn't making it better... 

I reached out to a designer last Monday and provided him with the details of the project I was working on. I asked him how long it would take to design and he said less than three hours so I told him to go ahead. He then followed up and asked me for details (clearly he hadn't paid attention to the very long, detailed message and files I had sent him earlier that explained the entire scope of the project). 

He then disappeared for days. I sent a follow up message on Sunday asking for an update and that I needed it on Monday or Tuesday at the very latest. He told me he'd get it to me that day. He then disappeared again until Tuesday when he sent me a crappy design that was almost exactly like the design I already have on my website from my other designer. He modified a few things, but it was so similar I knew he had to have ripped it off. He never admitted to doing it, but he didn't deny it either. 

First off, who does that?! How would you not think the client would notice that it looked like a bad revision of the design they already had? 

I was furious. I told him to send me the files and charge the agreed upon 3 hours to which he followed up and asked if he could charge the 3 hours (which I figured was because he didn't read the message immediately before it where I had approved those 3 hours). Apparently with his limited English he was trying to say that he wanted to charge another 3 hours on top of the 3 hours I had initially approved...so in the end, I got a horrible design that is useless and a charge for over 6 hours worth of work. 

He asked me to give him 5 stars (which every designer asks for)...I told him I'd take it into consideration, but the more I thought about it, the more furious I was. He ripped off my other designer's design, charged me more than twice what I was supposed to pay, and disappeared for almost a week. He needs to be reported, not praised!! 

We went back and forth about the payment today (because he's a "poor college student trying to pay tuition" and I am "obviously a rich woman" -- which is total BS, I probably make less than he does per month).

I finally caved and said I'd allow 4 hours total. Well, here we are 10 hours later and he hasn't fixed the payment. It still reflects over an hour last week and over 5 hours this week. I sent him a follow up asking him to fix the payment tonight. Should I give him until tomorrow to fix it and if he hasn't, then dispute it? 

What should I do about this situation? Obviously I will never work with him again, I but I feel so ticked off and mistreated by this freelancer it's hard to get past and I really don't want anyone else to fall into this trap either. 

Also, as shady as this situation is, I'm worried about him using my design elsewhere. Do I have any recourse for that? 

Thanks for your insights! 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 28

did you do a reverse lookup on his portfolio in his profile? I bet it's stolen.

also it sounds like manual time, so you can dispute manual time and he auto loses

eta again: do it now because I think you have only until tomorrow. He's milking time hoping you won't dispute and then you are screwed

Highlighted
3 of 28

Ugh...good point, Jennifer! It is manual time. It hadn't occured to me that he might be doing that for the payment. I'll go ahead and dispute it now. 

How would I do a reverse lookup of his portfolio? It was so good I do suspect he probably ripped off other people's designs too...

Highlighted
4 of 28

At the moment it only allows me to disput the 1 hour 20 minues from last week, not the 5 hours 10 minutes from this week. Do I have to wait until this one goes through to dispute or should I reach out to customer support about it? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
5 of 28

Meredith, I just wanted to let you know that there are plenty of designers who would never ask clients to leave feedback, do shoddy work, or try to get away with bilking client monies. I'm one of them. I'm so sorry you had this experience with someone who is less scrupulous. 

You can reach out to CS, but I'm not sure if you can dispute the hours before the weekly work diary goes into review. At which time you can dispute the hours entered for this week. Then again, if you're going to dispute the 1:20 from last week (and it certainly seems that you should) you might want to reach out to CS for guidance since you will need to do the same thing next week. 

Highlighted
6 of 28

Thank you, Melissa! Yes, you're totally right! I have worked with many wonderful, ethical designers over the years. I've just found that most do ask their clients to give them 5 stars on these sites (but now that I think about it, I have had 2 designers who didn't ask)...I have dealt with a few crappy designers and programmers over the years, but this one really got to me because he's using this "poor me" excuse for why it was such a bad situation.

I do believe in paying people for the work they do and I guess that's my one hesistation for disputing it...but at the same time I didn't get something that was usable, so I probably shouldn't feel guilty disputing the fee. 

I think you may be right...it might be that this week's diary hasn't been submitted yet. I am going to leave the 1:20 for last week on there and see what happens with the new one. Hopefully he will fix it before it gets submitted, but if not, then I'll file the dispute. It sucks that there are such unethical people in the world! Such a waste of time to deal with stuff like this...

Grateful for the feedback from ya'll though. That's made my night! 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
7 of 28

It seems like you're being very fair (and thoughtful, really). I hope the designer does right by you. Best of luck with everything! 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
8 of 28

I believe that you will be able to review/dispute his hours from this week on Monday afternoon.  

Highlighted
9 of 28

Thanks, Mary! I will definitely keep my eye out Monday for it if he doesn't fix it today! 

Highlighted
10 of 28

Thank you, Melissa! He says he's going to adjust it today. We shall see! 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS