cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freelancer Ripped off my Other Designer's Work and Then Overcharged for the Project

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
11 of 28

@Meredith B wrote:

At the moment it only allows me to disput the 1 hour 20 minues from last week, not the 5 hours 10 minutes from this week. Do I have to wait until this one goes through to dispute or should I reach out to customer support about it? 

ah, ok you can dispute this week next week. You can't dispute until it goes into review, so he has 3 more days to remove it.

If you want to PM me his profile, I'll tell you if the items are stolen or at least some of them. Usually, they steal a few and then put their own in between and you can tell a huge difference between quality.

Also, I do manual time too and I have worked with designers on the platform. Some of them are honest. I use manual time and I've never had anyone complain because just know that all of us aren't out to rip off people!

Meredith B Member Since: Oct 12, 2017
12 of 28

Thank you, Jennifer! I will definitely do that. I'm on my way to a couple of business meetings today but when I get back to the computer I'll pull up his profile and PM it. I really appreciate your help! 

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
13 of 28

Hi Meredith, 

You will only be able to dispute the hours your freelancers logged last week up to Friday, 13-October. After that, the dispute and review period ends, and the payment for the logged hours will go into the security period. You will not be able to dispute the hours 2-weeks back as the review period has already ended. 

You may however try to discuss this with your freelancer, so that he can issue you a refund of the hours that you weren't able to review. However, I would like to share that as a best practice, please make sure to review your freelancer's work diary after every work week to be able to check if the logged hours meets the requirements in the contract. 

You may learn more about disputing hours logged by your freelancer in this help article.

-Avery
Untitled
14 of 28

Thank you, Avery. I honestly shouldn't be paying anyhting since the design was useless, but I agreed to a certain amount of hours and at least I will uphold my promises in this transaction. If he doesn't adjust the hours today then I will disput them next week when I'm able to do so. 

I haven't reviewed work diaries in the past because not all my designers use them, but I'm glad this one did. I can clearly see from the screenshots where he was on my business page copying the design from my other designer. Blatently unethical in my opinion. I can't even understand why someone would think stealing the design of my other designer would even make sense!! He used some clip art stuff to make it look different, but it has all the basic elements of the design I already have. Baffling. 

15 of 28

OMG! I just copied his first two sentences into google and found a HUGE list of freelancers who have the same profile wording. I feel like such a fool! Well -- another valuable lesson learned. What a jerk -- I can't believe someone would do that! 

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
16 of 28

Hi Meredith, 

Could you please send over the link to this freelancer's profile via private message so that I can check his account? Could you also please send in the screen grabs where you can see that the freelancer was getting designs from your other freelancer so that I can send this to the team for their review? 

-Avery
Untitled
17 of 28

Thanks, Avery! I have sent those over. Please let me know if you need anything else! 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
18 of 28

@Meredith B wrote:

OMG! I just copied his first two sentences into google and found a HUGE list of freelancers who have the same profile wording. I feel like such a fool! Well -- another valuable lesson learned. What a jerk -- I can't believe someone would do that! 

lol yep. Smiley Tongue

Note to buyers: always check profiles including portfolio items for theft. There are a ton of them, so do yourself a favor and do some checks.

Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
19 of 28

I'm really sorry to hear you had to go through this, Meredith.

Since everyone else has given you great advice (especially acting fast because of the manual time concern), I'm just going to comment on the fact that the freelancer who gave you all these problems was billing you through manual time.

In my 7+ years on Upwork, I've seen so many clients report that they lost X money because they did not think to turn off manual time, and some scammy freelancer took advantage of that.

I would never let a new freelancer have it, and in general, don't ever let anyone have it. The annoying thing is that you have to turn it of manually (no pun intended!), by editing the Terms tab for each active hourly contract.

If you ever deal with a freelancer who says "please let me bill you ONLY through manual time" agree with caution. Some freelancers use it for a reason and are legit. Other freelancers never intend to do any real work, and hope that your not fully versed in this particular payment method.

Edit: Typos, Clarity, Update

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
20 of 28

Meredith, it’s too bad you had this experience but you came to the right place for advice. I’m a developer, not a designer, but I would never ask for a specific feedback; that’s totally unprofessional and possibly violates policy against feedback manipulation. On the other hand, you were fortunate in this case that the freelancer recorded time manually because time recorded with the time tracker can only be disputed on the basis of screenshots or activity level.