cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freelancer Ripped off my Other Designer's Work and Then Overcharged for the Project

Meredith B Member Since: Oct 12, 2017
21 of 28

Hi John,

Good point! Yes, I'm really glad that I had those screenshots because I can see where he ripped off my other designer's design! I've used developers on Guru and all of the ones I've dealt with over there demand 5 stars...I find it totally icky but I figured it was just the way these places work. The challenge from a client perspective though is that if you give an honest rating, you get really ugly backlack from the designer. I even had that happen when I gave someone 4 stars! 

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
22 of 28

@Pandora H wrote:

If you ever deal with a freelancer who says "please let me bill you ONLY through manual time" don't agree. These freelancers never intend to do any real work, and hope that your not fully versed in this particular payment method.

Pandora, please be careful about painting with such a broad brush. I rarely agree to work on an hourly basis, but when a client wants to work hourly, I will only use manual time (in fact, given the way I work, CAN only use manual time). I can assure you that I have done the "real work" that accounts for every penny of the $50,000+ I have earned through Upwork, and I'm quite sure I'm not the only freelancer in this situation.

Community Guru
Jutta B Member Since: Jun 7, 2016
23 of 28

totally agree with Tiffany. I don't have the tracker installed due to system constraints - I only do manual time. And I can guarantee you that I am not out to rip anyone off.

" The bond with a true dog is as lasting as the ties of this earth will ever be "
24 of 28

Thanks, Jutta!

And I love the quote! I sell handcrafted pet products at Devoted Human, so any quotes that are cat or dog-related gives me "paws!" Smiley Very Happy

25 of 28

Thank you, Tiffany! I know designers and developers vary widely and many are wonderful to work with. Clearly you and the rest of the people commenting on this thread fall into that category! I must admit on an absurdly limited budget I run the risk of getting crappier designers and developers. I look forward to the time when my budget allows me to hire higher level people! You get what you pay for when it comes to this stuff. Smiley Wink 

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
26 of 28

Meredith, you have an excellent outlook (recognizing the limitations a low budget creates, wanting to pay fairly for the freelancer's time even though you are not happy with the outcome). I'm sure you'll have no trouble building ongoing relationships with good freelancers.

27 of 28

Thanks, Tiffany! I do have some good designers I work with. Not perfect, but definitely worth working with on multiple projects. I do know that having even a slightly higher rate would help, and hope to be able to do so once I get some real income coming in from this business. Smiley Happy 

I'm probably extra picky because my ex-husband was a web/product/package designer and I worked with him on multiple projects over the years. I know what a really talented designer can do with proper motivation (e.g. getting paid what you're worth) and a good client who knows how to communicate! 

28 of 28

Hi Pandora,

Thanks for the reminder of the settings. I have an ongoing project with one designer on here and another one I've used for a few projects and it's never been abused so I didn't think to tweak that. This guy has certainly taught me what not to do in the future! I appreciate that suggestion. I will make sure manual isn't set up for unlimited hours unless it's a designer that I have a concrete relationship with. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS