cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freelancer Unable to Perform Coding Required - Dispute?

Highlighted
Scott C Member Since: Jul 12, 2019
1 of 44

This is my first time using UpWork and I posted a job to have a code developed which contained specific details and requirements.  The Freelancer I hired had a high rating (+85%), and was confident that he had the experience to complete the task.  A deadline was set for 1 week.  After 9 days, I received the code, however it did not function properly (not even close to the original request).  I discussed with the freelancer, and he did mention he was having a few issues.  The freelancer suggested I pay an additional amount, in order to create a second code, which would provide a visual representation for the original code requests.  This would benefited both of us, as I would be able to monitor "alerts" created by the first code visually, and it would assist the freelancer with the programming of the first code.  After two weeks, I received the second code, however it does not work properly either.  It has now been over a month of back and forth troubleshooting, and we are still relatively at the same place as when the original code was created.  It is obvious that the freelancer does not have the required skills to complete the job.  I think it's possible that because the jobs were at a fixed price, and the freelancer is struggling, that they may have lost the ambition/desire to either complete the task, or agree to move on from the project.  As this job was based on a fixed-price, and the funds are currently in escrow, what options do I have?   I would just like to get the code I originally requested built. 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 44

re: "As this job was based on a fixed-price, and the funds are currently in escrow, what options do I have? I would just like to get the code I originally requested built."

Scott:

It is always a possibility that the person you hired to do a task really can't complete every aspect of the project.

Your goal should be:

- obtain the work that I need

Your goal should not be:

- get this particular freelancer to complete the project

The best way to accomplish complex tasks is in a modular fashion. Break the project into 10 parts. Have each part done separately. If you have parts 1 through 5 complete, and tested, then that is an accomplishment. Maybe somebody else needs to finish it.

IF IT WAS ME PERSONALLY, then I would try to stop working with this particular freelancer as quickly as possible, and work with other people who are better suited to finishing the project.

The FASTEST way to end things with this freelancer is to release the full escrow payment now and close the contract. That is probably the most efficient thing to do.

Alternatively, if you want to try to get some money back, you could talk to him and negotiate a quick end to the contract with some refund in place:

"Jamie: Thank you again for your work on the project. We not have accomplished 85% of the goals that were originally agreed upon. I would like to let you move onto other things as quickly as possible. I suggest that I close the contract now, and ask for a refund of 15% of the money in escrow. If you will agree to that, I can release that money to you right now."

3 of 44

Thanks for responding Preston H.  

The job itself should not have been all that difficult for a capable programmer.  The Freelancer originally said he had a lot of experience creating similar projects, and that he would have no problems with this job.  

Note that in the in the future I will take your advice and set incremental milestones. 

I am still not sure what to do, but it really seems like I have no options with this platform, other than to walk away with a $420 loss (which really bothers me!).   I came to this site to try it out, and it feels like I got burned, with very little options for a fair resolution.  If I close the job and release the funds in escrow, I will be out $420 USD, with nothing of use to show for it.  A waste of time and money.  If this is how it pans out, why would I ever want to use UpWork again?

Thanks for your help.   

Community Guru
BEST ANSWER
4 of 44

re: "I have no options with this platform, other than to walk away with a $420 loss (which really bothers me!)."

That is the fastest option.

I'm not sure why you think that is your ONLY option.

You COULD simply ask the freelancer for a refund. You could ask for a refund in any amount you think is appropriate.

If the freelancer wants to end this thing, and if you offer SOME money to just end things, the freelancer might jump at the chance. Maybe offer to release HALF of the money to him?

ALSO:
You COULD close the contract WHILE ASKING FOR A FULL REFUND.

The freelancer might grant a full refund to you.

OR: If the freelancer DOES NOTHING, then you will AUTOMATICALLY receive a full refund.

Any amount of refund you ask for will will automatically be granted to you if the freelancer does nothing to respond.

You have many options.

Community Guru
5 of 44

re: " I will be out $420 USD, with nothing of use to show for it."

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

You would have all of the work the freelancer has already done for you and delivered to you.

6 of 44

What I am saying is that I am paying for a service, in which I expected the obligation to be fulfilled.  The current complied code has a ton of issues, and it appears it won't be fixed by the current freelancer.  The current code in comparison is like buying a McDonald's Happy Meal......... and not getting the hamburger, fries or drink.  The code I received performs about as good as the empty paper bag that the meal is supposed to come in.    

So, is it easier for a new programmer to start from scratch, or to attempt to "repair" or "fix" the current code.  I guess that will need to be determined by the next programmer.  

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
7 of 44

Hi Scott,

I'm sorry about your experience with this freelancer. Our team will reach out to you directly via support ticket to assist you further and advise on further steps.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Untitled
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
8 of 44

Scott,

As soon as the freelancer requested additional payment, that would have been the moment to cut your losses and look for alternatives. It's no more appropriate for a developer to ask for additional money to fix his own code than it would be for a client to ask for features not included in the original scope without offering additional payment. Also, for your future reference, 85% job success is nothing special, which isn't to say that an 95% freelancer would have necessarily done better. I hope that between you & Upwork you'll get at least a partial refund from the freelancer.

9 of 44

Hi I would like some help from a very inappropiatly behaved freelancer. Please, I feel it is important because of the magnitude of his behavior that your guys be properly notified.

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
10 of 44

Hi Jay,

I`m sorry to hear about the bad experience you had with your freelancer. 

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible where you can share more details with us. Our team will investigate it and assist you further directly on your ticket as well.
If you have any additional questions at the moment let me know, thank you.

Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS