🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Freelancer Unable to Perform Coding Requi...
Page options
d81211b0
Community Member

Freelancer Unable to Perform Coding Required - Dispute?

This is my first time using UpWork and I posted a job to have a code developed which contained specific details and requirements.  The Freelancer I hired had a high rating (+85%), and was confident that he had the experience to complete the task.  A deadline was set for 1 week.  After 9 days, I received the code, however it did not function properly (not even close to the original request).  I discussed with the freelancer, and he did mention he was having a few issues.  The freelancer suggested I pay an additional amount, in order to create a second code, which would provide a visual representation for the original code requests.  This would benefited both of us, as I would be able to monitor "alerts" created by the first code visually, and it would assist the freelancer with the programming of the first code.  After two weeks, I received the second code, however it does not work properly either.  It has now been over a month of back and forth troubleshooting, and we are still relatively at the same place as when the original code was created.  It is obvious that the freelancer does not have the required skills to complete the job.  I think it's possible that because the jobs were at a fixed price, and the freelancer is struggling, that they may have lost the ambition/desire to either complete the task, or agree to move on from the project.  As this job was based on a fixed-price, and the funds are currently in escrow, what options do I have?   I would just like to get the code I originally requested built. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "I have no options with this platform, other than to walk away with a $420 loss (which really bothers me!)."

That is the fastest option.

I'm not sure why you think that is your ONLY option.

You COULD simply ask the freelancer for a refund. You could ask for a refund in any amount you think is appropriate.

If the freelancer wants to end this thing, and if you offer SOME money to just end things, the freelancer might jump at the chance. Maybe offer to release HALF of the money to him?

ALSO:
You COULD close the contract WHILE ASKING FOR A FULL REFUND.

The freelancer might grant a full refund to you.

OR: If the freelancer DOES NOTHING, then you will AUTOMATICALLY receive a full refund.

Any amount of refund you ask for will will automatically be granted to you if the freelancer does nothing to respond.

You have many options.

View solution in original post

43 REPLIES 43

Richard:

I'm not criticizing your advice.
You offered excellent advice.

I'm just offering another perspective about how to hire, which works well for some situations, and not well for others.

re: "All because you didn't take the time to hire the right person in the first place?"

I have found that when I write sufficiently discriptive job postings for complex technical tasks, only qualified people apply to the job.

c25ef155
Community Member

Dear Scott,

What is the name of your developer, where is he from?

We had same issue with deadlines and low level of work from top rated developer, just see our last post in Clinents comunity discussion. Our Top Rated developers name **edited for Community Guidelines** and he blackmailed us to give him top rate, looks like top rate that we consider as relayble in upwork , in reality false .... 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Rezida, 

I had to edit your post/s as it violates the Upwork Community Guidelines. Please refrain from posting identifying information about this freelancer in an accusation of misconduct, incompetence, or wrondoing, as we do not allow it in the Community. 

I am currently reviewing the issue you have posted, and will be responding on your thread shortly. 

~ Avery
Upwork
Community Member

This is crazy because I had a freelancer that was unable to complete the job and now I replaced him with a freelancer **Edited for Community Guidelines**.  His skills were capable of what I need however the experience I had was scary. When we told him we didn't like his photo selection he got mad and crashed our website. He then refused to answer my question on what was happening and how to fix this. To make it worse he would then mock me about my lack of knowledge in what was happening. He held me hostage, I was powerless. He would yell at me if I didn't answer the phone(I was in the bathroom); then leave me hanging for hours on a late night meeting. I am writing this not only as a complaite but of a concern he will do it again. He is a skilled worker but can and will ruin your life. This is crazy because not only is it hard to find proper closer to unskilled workers, I am having a hard time contacting Upwork about very inappropriate behavior. I feel like this is their main job not just rate workers but protect us from rude, mean, unprofessional people. I wish you the best of luck!

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Latest Articles
Learning Paths