cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freelancer active on average only 5-6 minutes during each 10 minute work segment

31a9d262
larry f Member Since: Sep 16, 2016
1 of 17

i am a new client using freelancers on upwork.

i have hired 2 contracts thus far to see how different freelancers handle the process and the work they produce.

One freelancer did a 15 hour job for me and ,when I view work diary, only averaged 6-7 active minutes of work out of every 10 minute work segment.  Is this normal and acceptable?

Second freelancer is 6 hours into a 10 hour job for me and, when I view work diary, is averaging 8-9 active minutes of work out of every 10 minute work segment.  This seems more like what I would expect. 

Should I question/dispute the amount of hours billed on the first freelancer or is this common and should i just not hire them for another project as it appears I have found a better freelancer in the 2nd case?

Ultimately I know this is my decision and should depend on how I feel about what was created for me for the amount I spent on the project. 

I'm hoping to more quickly calibrate my expectations to the proper place from feedback from other clients who have much more experience using upwork.

Any client feedback on this would be appreciated.  Thanks.

daniel-bradley
Community Leader
Daniel B Member Since: May 4, 2016
2 of 17

If you're referring to the 'Activity Level,' then it's based on arbitrary stuff like keystrokes, mouse clicks etc. Of course, that doesn't account for time spent reading reference material or even just good old fashioned thinking time, both of which are presumably required to perform their jobs but aren't necessarily measurable. I'd certainly be inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Edit: Woops, just noticed this is in the 'clients' forum. Oh well, here's an impartial freelancer's perspective.

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
3 of 17

It definitely depends on the project.  For example. I'm a transcriptionist, I am typing constantly.  So I will have higher levels than someone who is maybe editing and proofreading a document becuase they will have less keystrokes and mouse clicks. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
slivaniou
Community Leader
Stella L Member Since: Jun 23, 2015
4 of 17

The freelancers' stats can be compared, but only if they were hired for the same job and they were asked to provide the same deliverable. Otherwise, it is like comparing apples and oranges.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 17

re: "Ultimately I know this is my decision and should depend on how I feel about what was created for me for the amount I spent on the project."

I think you already answered your own question.

brianajross
Community Leader
Briana R Member Since: Jul 8, 2015
6 of 17

Definitely take into consideration the time it takes to think things through or proofread. I often print drafts of my work in progress to evaluate the design, proofread, etc., and that is time where I'm not actively typing on the keyboard but I am still working on the client's project.

Are you getting screenshots? I'd be more concerned if I saw the freelancer browsing social media or working on something else during time they're logging to you rather than a few minutes downtime. As long as they're producing quality work in a reasonable timeframe, don't nitpick their activity levels on the computer. Simply typing and clicking the mouse does not make one more productive, I think that's an overly simplistic way to look at work production.

sam-sly
Community Guru
Samantha S Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
7 of 17

Not knowing the type of work it is hard to say. I recently ran the timer while I was on a telephone meeting with a client. I was looking at websites the client mentioned while we spoke, but I am sure my activity for that session was very low. Sometimes when writing, I am staring and the page, reading materials, rereading what I just wrote, or thinking. Sometimes I even am outlining on paper or using offline reference books and those activities wouldn't show in a screenshot.

Like others said, I would be more concerned if the screenshot showed someone playing video games or something totally unrelated to your work (though if Upwork is simply counting keystrokes then the video game player might show as very active). But at eh end of the day, if the more "active" freelancer delivers work you are more happy with, then that is who you should work with. I don't know whether you should dispute the hours of the other based simply on that stat as it may be flawed and it may be a freelancer who spends more time thinking. 

gerrys
Community Guru
Gerry S Member Since: Nov 23, 2014
8 of 17

One is working "smarter"; the other is working "harder".  (Maybe).

Which do you prefer?

Unless you have a clue as to what it will take (time-wise) to complete a job, "counting mouse cicks and key strokes" is ridiculous.

Is there any "thinking" involved? Or could a monkey (banging on a keyboard) do the job?

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
9 of 17

lol this is exactly why I don't use the tracker. "My freelancer didn't click a mouse button or press a key in 4 minutes out of 10! Lynch him!"

lol man who cares. Did he deliver on time and with a great product?

This is also why I don't code anymore, although writing seems to be the same thing. Everything is measured in lines of code and it's dumb. But here I am writing and people seem to think "more words" means a better product.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 17

@larry f wrote:

One freelancer did a 15 hour job for me and ,when I view work diary, only averaged 6-7 active minutes of work out of every 10 minute work segment.  Is this normal and acceptable?

Second freelancer is 6 hours into a 10 hour job for me and, when I view work diary, is averaging 8-9 active minutes of work out of every 10 minute work segment.  This seems more like what I would expect.

Which freelancer gave you better value for money for what you actually paid?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS