Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freelancer asking for 5 star review

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
11 of 22

Cairenn R wrote:

Rating them down even further just because they are annoyingly asking for higher feedback will be a reflection on the client's professionalism, not the freelancer. Vindictiveness is much more unprofessional than bugging a client for higher feedback. 

Leave fair feedback, then block the person. There are better freelancers - don't put your energy toward the bad ones. And it's a two-way street - vindictive clients get blocked, too. 

Take the high road.

I disagree. Requesting a change of feedback is incredibly unprofessional on the FL's part, and repeated nagging is exponentially worse. If a FL I hired went above and beyond to help me out in some way, after the contract had closed out, I would certainly think about trying to amend my feedback to reflect that, if I could. So it should cut both ways. It's not a matter of being vindictive, it's a true reflection of the FL's professionalism and quality. I don't believe in dwelling on things but I think every FL and every client operating on this platform should be held to a minimum standard of professionalism. When any of us can contribute to that overall effort, we should.

Jennifer has an impeccable reputation and this flake's feedback isn't going to do her material harm, in any case. As I said earlier, in her shoes I would think seriously about giving the FL a choice of letting the feedback stand or the changing it to the lower score that some of the client team members had originally suggested. Then I would block him/her.

Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
12 of 22

There is no reason to be vindictive, so just ignore them.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
13 of 22

The original poster has every right to be annoyed.

This is always inappropriate behavior on the part of a freelancer.

As a client, I have encountered freelancers like this. They will go on and on and on, back and forth, if you try to reason with them. Explaining that the score isn't going to hurt them much, or that it is a valid score, or that asking somebody to change their score could lead to a lower score... none of that will quiet them.

So for somebody who doesn't want to possibly feel guilty later on about lowering a freelancer's score... the best thing I can recommend would be to block them.

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
14 of 22

Either ignore them completely or tell them that your team members were not unanimous about the feedback and they are lucky it wasn't even lower.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
15 of 22

Upwork terms of use, section 4.1 includes the following under prohibited uses of the site:

Attempting to or actually manipulating or misusing the feedback system, including by:

• withholding payment or Work Product or engaging in any other conduct for the purpose of obtaining positive feedback from another User;

Perhaps a lawyer would see it differently, but isn't asking for 5 star feedback "engaging in conduct for the purpose of obtaining positive feedback"?

16 of 22

re: "Perhaps a lawyer would see it differently, but isn't asking for 5 star feedback 'engaging in conduct for the purpose of obtaining positive feedback'"

LOL... Who knows what lawyers think?

There is another thread active right now in which lawyers are apparently trying to get all lawyers kicked off of Upwork. Maybe there won't be any more lawyers using the site as freelancers?

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
17 of 22

Thanks John, that was the section I was looking for that I couldn't find! That would have been my interpretation, as well. I thought the initial "please close the contract and give me 5 stars" kind of messages were probably borderline, but then asking us directly to change the rating we did give to 5 stars seemed to go further than that and would fall into this category, I thought. But apparently not, according to Upwork support.

Khemiri M Member Since: Jul 23, 2014
18 of 22

Why all this back and forth if the work is not good for you just ask for refund and see another freelancer, when i don't do a job correcty i simply return the money and that's it, no need to reach review step, if you don't do a good job don't ask for money this is the policy i use, just perfect job and you got your money and review.

or simply let client score you and if the review isn't good just ask upwork to remove it as top rated perks
allow that.

Community Leader
Andrei T Member Since: Aug 30, 2016
19 of 22

Khemiri M wrote:

Why all this back and forth if the work is not good for you just ask for refund and see another freelancer, when i don't do a job correcty i simply return the money and that's it, no need to reach review step, if you don't do a good job don't ask for money this is the policy i use, just perfect job and you got your money and review.

or simply let client score you and if the review isn't good just ask upwork to remove it as top rated perks
allow that.

Your JSS will be affected even if you refiund in full, mainly because a client invests more than just money into a job. You cannot refund their time, the missed deadlines, or the costs of other resources involved. That's why a client may still choose to use your work when you did a less than stellar job - but they may also warn others through the rating they give you.

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
20 of 22

Khemiri M wrote:

allow that.

Except this freelancer obviously thinks they did a good job, because they are asking us for 5 stars. I didn't bother asking for a refund, because I knew they'd say no, and I would lose a dispute because they provided what they were contracted to do and Upwork does not arbitrate on quality.

I'm curious Khemeri if you've ever actually taken your own advice? Have you ever taken a job, completed it, and then said "you know what, I did a bad job, I'm not going to take this client's money"? How often does that happen, if so? Because that is not a great way to do things either...

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS