cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freelancer asking for more money to refactor their own bad code

a49f7ac1
Victor T Member Since: Dec 7, 2020
1 of 11

I have been working with a freelancer since November 2020 – and already paid them $3,350 and the current contract is worth $918. The work is not going as planned - they coded a module incorrectly and asking for more money to refactor the code.  The instructions were clear and no changes in requirements from me. They basically implemented an API incorrectly - created a throttling issue.

Without refactoring the code – the project is as good as dead. What should I do – please advise.

Thank you

a_lipsey
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
2 of 11

Victor T wrote:

I have been working with a freelancer since November 2020 – and already paid them $3,350 and the current contract is worth $918. The work is not going as planned - they coded a module incorrectly and asking for more money to refactor the code.  The instructions were clear and no changes in requirements from me. They basically implemented an API incorrectly - created a throttling issue.

Without refactoring the code – the project is as good as dead. What should I do – please advise.

Thank you

If this is fixed price then I would explain to the freelancer that they have not delivered an appropriate deliverable yet, and the agreed upon price for the module was $918.  If they disagree then I would request a refund of the funds in escrow, close the contract and find someone else to do the module. If they disagree then I would dispute it, go to arbitration if necessary. But first you need to negotiate with the freelancer and see why they are asking for more money when they have not delivered the agreed upon deliverable yet. 

a49f7ac1
3 of 11

Thanks for your reply. That’s what I have been thinking of doing, but I just want to go live with my site as soon possible. If that means paying a bit more to refactor the code. My view is that it should take one day to refactor the code – and an extra day to debug if any issues. This could have been done last week. Instead – they initially asked $2400 and said it would take 2.5 weeks.

However, I offered to pay $300 but they are asking $480 – and very vague about the timescale.

Can I ask what’s UpWork's role here? Can they not mitigate this problem?

a49f7ac1
4 of 11

I should also mention that the freelancer is a software company and apparently with many experienced programmers. I was promised that a senior programmer would supervise the work. Unfortunately, that probably didn’t happen.

g_vasilevski
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
5 of 11

Hi Victor,

I'm sorry to hear about the inconvenience this has caused you. Our team will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and will assist you further. Thank you.

Untitled
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 11

re: "Can I ask what’s UpWork's role here?"

None.

re: "Can they not mitigate this problem?"

No.

a49f7ac1
7 of 11

Thanks Preston. That's suprising - I thought UpWork would step in if anything goes wrong since they have all the communication recorded on this site.

richardrader
Community Leader
Richard R Member Since: Jun 22, 2018
8 of 11

Preston is right, you never hired UpWork for the job, you hired the freelancer. UpWork simply connects freelancers to clients. They don't have much of a role in the quality of work performed.  Normally if a project isn't going as planned, you can always end the contract, leave feedback to the freelancer, and find a better suit at any time for any reason. 

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
9 of 11

Victor T wrote:

they initially asked $2400 and said it would take 2.5 weeks.

However, I offered to pay $300 but they are asking $480 – and very vague about the timescale.

Victor, sounds to me like they're trying to milk the contract for all the money they can squeeze out of it. I assume this is a fixed price job, so here's what you could do. First, get a copy of their latest source code, warts and all, if you haven't already. Too many clients get strung along by freelancers who demo code while keeping it to themselves. Next, negotiate the milestone price, and assign it, but notify them that the refactoring must fix the throttling issue, or you will not approve the milestone, then see what happens. If they can't get it done in a reasonable timeframe, close the contract and hire someone else. Good luck

Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
10 of 11

Victor:
There are really TWO TYPES of advice that you are going to receive in this thread:

- tips for using Upwork generally

- tips for handling your curent specific situation

Many tips will cross over and and have application both now and later.

Here are some general ideas that I think it will help you to keep in mind:

- Upwork doesn't manage projects for clients

- For large and complex projects, you will need a project manager in order to be successful

- Upwork provides you with tools. Effective clients learn to use those tools and do not work through Upwork Customer Support in order to manage their projects

- Effective clients use their unlimited ability to END contracts with underperforming freelancers; that's one of the most useful skills a client can learn: how to END a contract instead of continuing to pay money to freelancers who don't provide you with great value.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS