🐈
» Forums » Clients » Freelancer borrows money. Is it real
Page options
213a8354
Community Member

Freelancer borrows money. Is it real

Hi All,

I hired a freelancer in Philippines to work on a website. Today, she sent me an urgent request to borrow $250, because her daugher needs to go to hospibal. If that is real, I don't mind helping her. But since we just starting working for 2 weeks, I am not sure whether her account gets hacked. Anybody gets similar experience? Her upworks rating is pretty good. I can post a negative review if it is a scam. Just don't know what to do.

Thanks,

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

It is a scam. There is no daughter. There is no hospital. We have seen the same thing many times from**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Even if any of this was real (it's not), this behavior is completely inappropriate.

Upwork is not GoFundMe.

kat303
Community Member

it's 100% a scam. If you lend her that money you will NEVER see it OR her again. You as a client are offering her a job so that she can EARN money. She provides a service and will get paid for it. 

You may have a good heart, but you are not a lender and this site is not a bank or a lending facility. . You came here to get a job done. If you decide to hire this freelancer, make sure you're hiring her because of her qualifications and skills NOT because you feel sorry for her. 

Scammers use all kinds of pity, sob stories to scam clients.Don't fall for the line of releasing escrow before a freelancer starts work. If you do,that will also be the last time you'll hear from that freelancer.

1. Hire on skills, experience and qualifications

2. Fully fund escrow

3 Freelancer works, and delivers the completed results to you.

4 You have 14 days to look over and/or test the completed results. 

5 If you are satisfied and approve of the completed job, THEN and ONLY then do you release the funds in escrow. 

IMO I would NOT hire this freelancer. If she is already trying to scam you, I can only imagine what types of problems you'll have. I'm sure you can find a more ethical, professional freelancer on this site. 

Report her to Upwork and include any documentation supporting what she is doing. 

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi David,

Could you please reach out to me via PM(click on my name) with your freelancer name and a screenshot for the communication? Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths