cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freelancer canceled after 18 days

Joanne G Member Since: Sep 22, 2015
1 of 5

I understand that freelancers may not have the ideal conditions, but fail to understand how a two week contract cab be canceled by the freelancer after 18 days (4 days past the agreed delivery date) and there is no recourse to the freelancer.

We can not rate the person who just pulled our chain for 18 days. Therefore, the freelancer in question still holds his 4.87 rating and is free to disrespect any client as he pleases.

Anyhow, we are easy going clients, prepared to treat freelancers with dignity and respect. We have paid each freelancer on time and never, not one time, did we ever hassle a freelancer over time or money. We took great pains to NOT put any freelancer under pressure. The payback is we are under pressure and duress.

My main issue is that I'm not prepared to get 'rogered' twice by a bad freelancer. I'll find an alternative, but it won't be in UPWORK.

When clients and freelancers are unsatisfied with the terms, maybe it's time for Upwork to do more than jusy shrug their shoulders.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 5

HI Joanne,

I am sorry your experience with a freelancer on Upwork wasn't successful. Since the contract was ended by the freelancer, the money you have funded in Escrow will be returned to you. Because no money was paid on the contract, it will not show on the profile publicly.

However, you can (and I encourage you to) go to your Jobs > Contracts, click on the name of the recently closed contract and click on the link "Provide End Contract Reson." That way you will be able to provide your feedback about your experience with the freelancer that will be counted in the freelancer's Job Success score. 

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Untitled
3 of 5

Thank you, Valeria.

I see no reason to provide feedback to a person who clearly does not care about me. This is nonsense. From what I have seen in other threads, this makes little to zero impact on the freelancer's score. If a freelancer jerks someone around for 18 days and flushes them, there should be a way for potential clients to understand this clearly. Upwork seems to think this is acceptible behavior and worth covering up.

I am happy for anyone at upwork to view my communications with the freelancer in question. They will soon see who is respectful and who is at fault. Like I said above, Upwork might consider not protecting bad clients and not tolerating bad freelancers.

Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
4 of 5

Hi Joanne,

I really would encourage you to do as Valeria requested. Private feedback does indeed affect a freelancer's score, much more so than any public one.

5 of 5

I sent feedback, thank you.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS