🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Freelancer changed a few words on a templ...
Page options
8e5d911f
Community Member

Freelancer changed a few words on a template and sent it to me as a deliverable

I recently requested a freelancer to give me customized recommendations to increase traffic to a Kickstarter page. Her recommendations are nothing more than easily accessible information from a quick web search. Her work diary shows her completing the entire deliverable non-stop from start to finish without a single ounce of research besides looking at my Kickstarter page. I tried disputing her hours on Upwork, but I can only dispute whether she put in the hours, and not the quality of those hours.

I asked, just in case, in a call whether she would be adapting a template and she explicitly stated she wouldn't be. All evidence points to her adapting a template. This goes beyond disputing quality of work because it's not of matter of poor or well-done work, it's blatantly false. How can I dispute this?

8 REPLIES 8
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Alec, 

I'm sorry to learn about your experience with this freelancer. I can see that your dispute was closed, and I'm sorry it didn't close in your favor. As noted in Section 2.1 Relationship with Upwork in the User Agreement, 

"(iii) Upwork does not, in any way, supervise, direct, or control any Freelancer or Freelancer Services; does not impose quality standards or a deadline for completion of any Freelancer Services; and does not dictate the performance, methods or process Freelancer uses to perform services."

Only hours that do not qualify for hourly protection will be refunded to you. You may refer to this help article on Hourly Protection, and Section 7.1 Disputes Initiated via the Platform of Hourly, Bonus, and Expense Payment Agreement with Escrow Instructions which states that "...Disputes handled by Upwork can only address the hours billed, not the quality of the Freelancer Services or the Work Product provided under Hourly Contracts."

Kindly refer to your support ticket for more information about your concern. 

~ Avery
Upwork
8e5d911f
Community Member

Hi Avery,

Thanks for the response. Just to clarify using a hypothetical, if I ask a freelancer to deliver a 5-minute video and they deliver one powerpoint slide, Upwork would do nothing about this?

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Alec, 

In Section 6.2 for Clients of the Hourly, Bonus, and Expense Payment Agreement with Escrow Instructions "...Within the Hourly Invoice Review Period, Client must submit a Dispute specifically identifying the time billed that is not clearly related to either the Hourly Contract requirements or Client instructions in the Work Diaries.

Upwork will investigate and determine in its sole discretion whether the above terms and conditions are met."

The situation you have noted exhibits that the hours billed were not related to the Hourly Contract requirements or Client instructions and can be further reviewed by the Dispute Team if the client was able to file a dispute within the review period.

~ Avery
Upwork
8e5d911f
Community Member

Hi Avery,

If that's the case, how do I reopen my dispute? The freelancer billed hours that were not related to the Hourly Contract requirements or Client instructions.

Alec:

I am sorry that you were disappointed by your experience when hiring that particular freelancer.

But I see no reason for you to file a dispute.

In fact, I do not why you are spending your time and energy focusing on a freelancer who really doesn't deserve your continued consideration.

The best advice I could give you on this topic is to put yourself and your project first. You don't owe that freelancer anything.

If you have not already closed the contract, then do so. And make a decision right now to never hire that freelancer again. Then move on.

I paid money and would like my money back. She didn't spend any time on what I paid her to spend time on. I'm trying to figure out how I can get my money back.

re: "I paid money and would like my money back."

How much money did you pay to this freelancer?

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Her work diary shows her completing the entire deliverable non-stop from start to finish without a single ounce of research besides looking at my Kickstarter page."

Work diary snapshots are taken, on average, once every ten minutes.

You can not look at work diaries and discern what was done in between the snapshots. That is not how the desktop time tracker works.

If you don't want to continue working with a freelancer, then just close the contract. You don't need to prove anything or justifying your decision to anyone.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths