🐈
» Forums » Clients » Freelancer chatting while 'Away'
Page options
donfak
Community Member

Freelancer chatting while 'Away'

Greetings folks,

I'm just curious: I was discussing with a freelancer to assign a contract and he could chat while being shown as 'Away' (Yellow icon on the profile picture). Was it a bug or a trick? 🤔

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Joel D wrote:

I'm just curious: I was discussing with a freelancer to assign a contract and he could chat while being shown as 'Away' (Yellow icon on the profile picture). How is this possible? 🤔

he was answering via email.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
petra_r
Community Member

Joel D wrote:

I'm just curious: I was discussing with a freelancer to assign a contract and he could chat while being shown as 'Away' (Yellow icon on the profile picture). How is this possible? 🤔

he was answering via email.

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Joel,

Could you please reach out to me via PM (click on my name) with the freelancer's name? Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I have also same kind of experience, recently there was an interview with a client, on its profile it was showing that he is offline, but when I sent him a message, he reply me but the status on his profile still indicating that he is offline. 

Stalker dots and the like which indicate whether somebody is "away", or "online" or not... These have no meaning to me.

If I send a question to somebody, then I assume they will answer my when they answer my question. Until they do so, then they have not yet answered my question.

If a certain user interface element indicates that somebody is online... does that mean they are really online? How do I know? Maybe their screen is up on their computer, but they are hiking a nearby trail. And it's a ten-mile hike.

If a certain user interface element indicates that they are offline or away... does that really mean they are away? In the Upwork Messages tool, I ALWAYS have the tool set to show me as OFFLINE. But I'm almost always online.

Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 8.30.18 AM.png

Muhammad M wrote:

I have also same kind of experience, recently there was an interview with a client, on its profile it was showing that he is offline, but when I sent him a message, he reply me but the status on his profile still indicating that he is offline. 

Because everyone can set their status to offline so desperados don't harass us busy people.

Hi Goran,

I have a question about a situation which is an issue for me, If I don't have more connects, and i can't buy more, a freelancer can do nothing but wait the invitation of the clients??? We are not necessarily sure to receive invitations!

However, in this case that would be a concern for the freelancers, as they need to send at least two or three adequate proposals daily!!

It would be nice if we can find alternatives.

Regards,

Nabil H wrote:

Hi Goran,

I have a question about a situation which is an issue for me, If I don't have more connects, and i can't buy more, a freelancer can do nothing but wait the invitation of the clients??? We are not necessarily sure to receive invitations!

However, in this case that would be a concern for the freelancers, as they need to send at least two or three adequate proposals daily!!

It would be nice if we can find alternatives.

Regards,

Hi Nabil. The reason Upwork introduced thr connect system was to discourage freelancers from making large numbers of proposals. Upwork doesn't want you to make two or three proposals per day. So they're not going to change the system to make that easier. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths