🐈
» Forums » Clients » Freelancer created website then deleted it af...
Page options
579e5c3d
Community Member

Freelancer created website then deleted it after payment

Hello,

I asked a freelancer with great feedback to redesign my current website for me, at an hourly rate. He accepted and worked on it over the course of a week or 2, which I paid him for the work. I sent him editor permissions for my existing site on squarespace to the email he gave me. Weirdly the email he gave me was not the one that showed as now having editing access when I logged in later on, but I was not worried as he seemed to be part of an agency.

After creating the site, he said they sent me an email to have access to the site, which I did receive (from the same email/account name that showed as an editor of my personally owned site). When I logged into the new site, it showed me as an administrator, but not the owner.

I asked them to go ahead and make the new site live. They said they don't see the site anymore. I mentioned I did not chang anything. He gives me a new email to invite to be an editor, which I do for my old site, as the new site doesn't show up for me either.

After going around and around, all links to the new site show it's been deleted by the owner. I was never the owner. The freelancer is now telling me I need to pay to redesign the site again.

I has happy to pay for the work done, which is why there was no need for a dispute, but to create the work, get paid, then delete everything and tell me it needs to be done again? that's bad business. Also I don't even have a request refund button for the job, and it's less than a month old. Please help me figure out my options here, as I just spent a lot of money in order to be told I have to do it all again, and I haven't even received what I paid for.

1 REPLY 1
NikolaS

Hi DeAndre,

I am sorry to hear about your experience with this freelancer. I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket so that we can look into this and assist you accordingly. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths