🐈
» Forums » Clients » Freelancer demanding higher rating
Page options
jaime2039
Community Member

Freelancer demanding higher rating

I’m a freelancer and client on the platform, so I definitely “get” both sides. I recently ended a project that had dozens and dozens of writers. I took time to rate and review all writers — all were good though, of course, some were outstanding and some were good enough. I gave many writers five stars and many 4.8 (so all 5s plus one 4) and so on. No one got below mid-high 4s.

Since the reviews have gone public, I’ve been inundated with DEMANDS from writers to change their scores to 5s. Many of these writers got 4.8 stars and thereabouts — great scores! I’m shocked and appalled they’d all demand five stars. After explaining that these are good scores and reflective of my experience, many are still demanding their scores be changed, harassing me online, etc — all over a fraction of a point.

As a freelancer and a client I pay attention to reviews. If everyone gave everyone a five, the reviews would mean nothing. When you’re looking at many writers at the same time, it becomes apparent not everyone is the same quality-wise — I have the very best fives and (slightly) came down from there.

Curious if anyone else has had this experience and, if so, how they handled. I reached out to Upwork and they basically said I need to report the writers — not something I want to do since getting them in trouble with the site feels very extreme.
13 REPLIES 13
petra_r
Community Member

@Jaime H wrote:

Since the reviews have gone public, I’ve been inundated with DEMANDS from writers to change their scores to 5s.

Essentially this is exactly why we have ended up with a Job Success Score 😞

I would make a mental note to never hire any of those freelancers again and yes, I WOULD report them, too.

I have never ONCE mentioned feedback to a client. Not before a contract ended nor afterwards. I consider that to be unprofessional as hell...

Any freelancer who DEMANDED that I change their feedback I would. Not to a 5 though. They'd get instant 1s for communication and cooperation (leaving everything else the way it was, obviously.)

Thanks! I initially thought maybe I had mixed up feedback for this particular writer, but once I saw it was a 4.8/5 I was really taken aback. That’s good feedback (and makes me feel less cruel!).

@Jaime H wrote:
Thanks! I initially thought maybe I had mixed up feedback for this particular writer, but once I saw it was a 4.8/5 I was really taken aback. That’s good feedback (and makes me feel less cruel!).

Petra's suggestion is perfect. Agree to change their feedback, and then you'll get the chance to let other clients know what they're in for when you give them a "1" and leave appropriate comments.

And yes, you should report them. Feedback manipulation is not allowed on either side of the fence.

versailles
Community Member

4.8 is an excellent rating. Someone who complains because they have been given a 4.8 and annoys the client demanding a five-star rating should definitely be reported. Those people make the whole platform look bad.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

I'm a developer, not a writer, but I generally get 5 stars. Regardless, I wouldn't dream of complaining over a 4.8 star rating. About the lowest I've ever received is 4.0, and I didn't complain then, but I did refuse to do more work for the client when he wanted to hire me for another project. That's how I react if I think client feedack was too low.

I think that’s a perfect approach!
prestonhunter
Community Member

Freelancers who demand higher scores are bad freelancers. Period.

This is feedback manipulation and it is expressly forbidden by Upwork ToS.

A client may report them to Upwork Customer Service. But I certainly understand if a client doesn't want to do this.

If a freelancer demanded that I give her a higher score, I would ignore her if I was feeling generous. Or lower her score if I felt like seeking fairness.

You’re absolutely right. For me, I hate the idea of negatively impacting someone’s livelihood over this — that said, you’ve all been tremendously helpful and I’ve reached out to the freelancers to let them know scores are staying as is, and directing them the Upwork customer support if they want to discuss further.

As a freelancer I once received a score that was low. I reached out, but not to ask that it be raised — I reached out to see if I could do anything to improve the client’s experience (I.e deliver additional rounds of copy, make edits, etc). That I get. Telling me I owe them a higher score I don’t.

THANK YOU! I appreciate everyone’s feedback and always forget how helpful these boards are. 🙂
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Jaime H wrote:

Since the reviews have gone public, I’ve been inundated with DEMANDS from writers to change their scores to 5s. Many of these writers got 4.8 stars and thereabouts — great scores! I’m shocked and appalled they’d all demand five stars. After explaining that these are good scores and reflective of my experience, many are still demanding their scores be changed, harassing me online, etc — all over a fraction of a point.

That's absolutely insane! I would definitely report these freelancers for their shockingly unprofessional behaviour. Possibly not the ones who contacted you once, but definitely those who continued to harrass you after you had already given them one courteous explanation. That's completely out of line, and it reflects poorly on Upwork in general when clients are treated like this. 

It's okay Christine, all that happened one year ago.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
1acacdfb
Community Member

I just had this happen. I was very frustrated by it because it was not with integrity to ask me to change my already positive score of him. 5 stars across the board should not just be given away! I gave him a stern warning and asked him to give me his word he won't make a habit out of it. So now I understand why some people have ridiculously high scores. I will look at lower ranges from now on. More honest folks perhaps. Nevertheless, since this freelancer offered all my money back I realized how important it was to him. I asked for half my money back as it would be 5 star work for that price. But now I feel I've compromised my own integrity some. If someone else asks me for a better score... THEY WILL NOT BE HAPPY WITH THE OUTCOME!! 

Gregory G wrote:

I just had this happen. I was very frustrated by it because it was not with integrity to ask me to change my already positive score of him. 5 stars across the board should not just be given away! I gave him a stern warning and asked him to give me his word he won't make a habit out of it. So now I understand why some people have ridiculously high scores. I will look at lower ranges from now on. More honest folks perhaps. Nevertheless, since this freelancer offered all my money back I realized how important it was to him. I asked for half my money back as it would be 5 star work for that price. But now I feel I've compromised my own integrity some. If someone else asks me for a better score... THEY WILL NOT BE HAPPY WITH THE OUTCOME!! 

This is a perfect example for feedback manipulation and yes you participated in exchange for money.

But there are more than enough freelancer that worked hard to get their score and did not manipulate it.

When a freelancer gave you permission to change the feedback, you can change it several times for 14 days. If you still can change the feedback again, return the money to the freelancer and leave an honests feedback.

Gregory:
You are describing a freelancers whose behavior is reprehensible.

And this is definitely a violation of Upwork ToS.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths